Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   "best part" of Central Park- your opinion wanted! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-part-of-central-park-your-opinion-wanted-552049/)

lynnejoel1015 Aug 15th, 2005 08:47 PM

"best part" of Central Park- your opinion wanted!

Just thought it would be fun to post a poll about "the best part of" -or- "your favorite part of" Central Park.

Which end (N,S,E,W)? Middle section? Entrance? Etc... Since it's so big, it'll be helpful to know what each section encompasses, what kinds of recreation is best in which section, etc.

So, what's the best section of Central Park, in <i>your</i> opinion?

GoTravel Aug 16th, 2005 04:47 AM

The Metropolitan Museum of Art!

The best view is from the rooftop terrace.

I would suggest a guided tour.

lisettemac Aug 16th, 2005 04:52 AM

The Conservancy Gardens -- especially in the spring when the allees of crabapple trees are in full bloom.

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2005 05:16 AM

The Zoo.

But equally you could say the lake or Strawberry fields or the Sheepmeadow or the Shakespeare garden or the Delacorte Theater or the bridle paths - or any of the other areas- it depends on what your interests are.

By the way, Central Park doesn;t have an entrance - it has at least 20 entrances.

For complete info on the Park and all activites go to the Conservancy web site: http://www.centralparknyc.org/

HowardR Aug 16th, 2005 05:24 AM

Barnes &amp; Noble publishes an excellent guide to the park: Barnes &amp; Noble Complete Illustrated Map and Guidebook to Central Park.
Whether you're a local or tourist, it's an invaluable resource.

Jean_Valjean Aug 16th, 2005 06:05 AM

My favorite area in Central Park is the Conservatory Gardens, on the northern end of the park. Peaceful and beautiful. To get in, you need to go to 105th and 5th avenue.

Gekko Aug 16th, 2005 08:53 AM

In my opinion, the &quot;best part&quot; of Central Park is the center section, from the Bow Bridge up to the Reservoir (which includes Belvedere Castle, the Great Lawn, Metropolitan Museum, etc.). Enter at 72nd Street, find the Bow Bridge, walk up the Ramble to Belvedere, and then go from there to the museums, the Great Lawn or the Reservoir.

http://www.centralpark2000.com/produ.../map_home.html

lynnejoel1015 Aug 16th, 2005 05:22 PM

thanks, everyone! yeah, i realize there are zillions of entrances, so i just meant, which entrance is the coolest. that's all.

great! we want to see as much of it as possible, or at least hit the &quot;favorite&quot; parts.

Maggi Aug 16th, 2005 08:14 PM

Bethesda Fountain when everyone brings their dogs to play with each other. I could sit there all day and watch all the different varieties of dogs frolic in the water.

Gekko Aug 17th, 2005 06:52 AM

Interesting. I run by Bethesda about 4 times a week and have never seen dogs in the fountain. I'm usually passing by in the evening, 6-7pm.

Kal Aug 17th, 2005 06:55 AM

Ditto Strawberrry Fields, especially if you get a few Lennon fans with guitars sittin' around jammin' Lennon/McCartney songs.

I lost more dollar bills there than I did at the Gold Club. :-&quot;

Hi Maggs!!!

Marge Aug 17th, 2005 07:26 AM

What I like to do is enter the park from Strawberry Fields, walk along the path along the southern edge of the Lake past Bow Bridge to Bethesda Fountain area. The Boathouse is there, for lunch, or a drink. Just east of there is the &quot;Conservatory Water&quot; or pond where you can rent toy boats and sail them. And then north is the Met.

Just south of the Bethesda Fountain area is a set of benches where you can watch roller bladers and roller skaters. They have music performances in that (bandshell) area as well.

There's a small charming zoo further south then east of the bandshell area. The birdhouse is fun to walk through.

So to answer the question, the lower middle part of Central Park where the lake is is my favorite area.

If you want to combine a visit to the Met, I would suggest doing that first and going out of the park through Strawberry fields. You can see the Met, have lunch there, then have a leisurely walk through the park where there are many, many benches :-)

suzanne Aug 17th, 2005 09:45 AM

For relaxing, throwing a frisbee &amp; people-watching, Sheep Meadow.

Also the area behind it (volleyball courts/bandshell/Bethesda Fountain)where you can watch people play volleyball, roller-dance, or do some other kind of performance.

For exploring, the Ramble.

For a relatively quiet picnic, behind the Met.

For flowers, Conservatory Gardens.

For families, Conservatory Water &amp; the Zoo.

alvarki Aug 17th, 2005 09:56 AM

I really enjoy relaxing outside at &quot;The Boathouse.&quot; You can sip a glass of wine, have some grapes and cheese and just hang out. It's really nice.

Maggi Aug 17th, 2005 01:28 PM

Gekko, we saw them about 10am on a Saturday morning.