"Best of" Maui and Big Island

May 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

"Best of" Maui and Big Island

I've read the guide books -- love Revealed books! But I would love to hear from some people directly...

Any restaurant musts for Maui and Big Island?

Best place to get a cocktail too?

Favorite places?

Must do's?

THANKS!!!!
May 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Hailimaile General Store is one of my favorite places to eat on Maui.

-Bill
May 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Aloha hawaiiwego,

Easy enough, Maui: Mama's Fish House

Favorite Places: UnderH20 along west coast of Maui, IAO Needle Park

Must do's: Road to Hana, atop Haleakala

Big Island: Snorkeling along (south) Kona coast (e.g. K-bay/Capt. Cook memorial, Honaunau Bay, Kahlu`u Beach Park)

Favorite places: Place of Refuge, Waipio Valley, Akaka Falls, Volcanoes national Park, Kohala coast beaches
May 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I would add must do's on the BI, Stargazing on Mauna Kea (go to the summit if you are willing to rent a 4X4), an early morning kayak trip on Keleakakua bay to see the wild dolphins feeding, and an evening (night) hike to the lava flows.
May 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information!

We are renting a 4 wheel drive for some of the "off road" adventures. We will be on both sides of the Big Island. Is i better to go to the summit from the east side or the west? Also, are there any other great things (hikes or beaches) we should do while we have the 4 wheeler? (We will only have the 4 wheel drive for part of our stay)

THANKS!!!!
May 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
trippinkpj

In Lahaina, the little Sunrise Cafe is a good spot for a breakfast or lunch. Buzz' Wharf in Ma'a laea for lunch or dinner. Here's their website:
http://www.buzzswharf.com/
I'm into Lahaina and Upcountry (Haiku, Makawao, Kula and Paia).

May 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM

A Big Island beach that requires 4-wheel drive to get to (at least in March it did)--Kona Coast State Park off Highway 19 north of the airport. Drive across rough lava road--park and walk north to the lovely beach. Usually not too many people there during the week.

The Farmers Market in Hilo is fun--more than exotic and mundane fruits and vegies - some prepared foods (great for lunches) and jewelry, clothes etc. On Wednesday and Saturday

Restaurants
If you get to Puna, Paolo's Bistro in Pahoa has wonderful Italian (dinner only)--you can BYOB.

Restaurant Kaikodo in Hilo--had lunch there--decor is gorgeous and the ladies room was spectacular?!! and the food was very good also

Ke'ei Cafe in Kainaliu--in South Kona--the food is always good but sometimes the service is slow. We usually make an early reservation and have had no problem with the service.

in Waimea--both Merrimans and Daniel Thiebaut have yummy food--pricy for dinner - much more reasonable for lunch.