Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best non-French restaurant in Vegas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-non-french-restaurant-in-vegas-687250/)

Donna_M Mar 12th, 2007 02:18 PM

Best non-French restaurant in Vegas?

My husband and I are celebrating our 18th anniversary in May with a little Vegas getaway. We only have 2 nights to go out and I need some recommendations. My husband doesn't like French food and we don't want a prix fixe menu. Last year, we went to Eiffel Tower, 808, and Nobu ( all great! ) and want to try something new. I'd like one place to be dressy enough so I don't feel out of place wearing a dress and the other to be a more cool/funky place. Thanks for your help!! Also, any good nightclubs for 40 y.o. couple who like to dance?

jbass Mar 12th, 2007 02:24 PM

Just returned from Las Vegas. Had a business dinner at MIX - atop the Hotel at Mandalay Bay. Very good; pricey - the view is spectacular. It's connected to MIX Lounge-don't know about music there but you could check it out. ;;)

lgott Mar 12th, 2007 02:57 PM

If you like seafood, consider Bartolotta (at Wynn Las Vegas). Its specialty is fresh whole fish flown in from the Mediterranean - simply prepared but excellent. I've eaten there four times, and have enjoyed each meal.

Be warned, it's expensive! In theory, you could pay as little as $50/person (plus drinks, tax, and tip), but if you want fresh fish expect to pay nearly $100/person.

Donna_M Mar 12th, 2007 04:21 PM

I checked out Mix's website already ( they have several nightclubs that look like fun! )and was surprised to see only 4 appetizers and 4 entrees on the menu. Is that all they offer or does the menu change too often to put it on the website?

I'll have to check out Bartolotta's menu. We were considering going to see Spamalot so that might be a good choice.

Donna_M Mar 13th, 2007 12:29 PM

Come on people!! Help me!

Laura147 Mar 13th, 2007 01:23 PM

Circo at the Bellagio! Try and request a seat near the windows. Food is delicious.

Dreamer2 Mar 23rd, 2007 04:22 PM

I haven't been yet, but have been doing a lot of research for an upcoming trip... I think the problem is the non-French part, perhaps.

We're planning on going to L'Atelier one night, and then to Studio 54, both at the MGM. L'Atlelier is prix fixe French, but is supposed to have that cool/funky vibe with "counter" seating overlooking the kitchen. There must be others though!

I think a dressy non-French place would be Prime - the steak place at the Bellagio. Lots of complaints regarding service at various chat sites, but everyone does say it is uber-romantic. Get a table where you can face the fountains, and don't order the seafood sampler appetizer (something like $50pp, and not worth it).

Don't know for sure, but I'm thinking the Wynn nightclubs may cater to a bit older crowd. It's called Tryst or Lure... not sure. Tao at the Venetian or Mix at The Hotel also seem to have good reviews.

Again, none of this is based on first hand experience. But maybe my reply will bump you up for some new answers. Good Luck!

Hope this helps. You wouldn't happen to know a great spa in LV, would you?

DebitNM Mar 23rd, 2007 04:25 PM

Jasmine at Bellagio. It has great views of the dancing waters and the food was excellent, especially the Peking Duck.

"With its sparkling chandeliers, miles of pastel chintz and colorful bursts of flowers, Jasmine is a room built for romance. Chef Philip Lo, an originator of nouvelle Hong Kong cuisine, creates contemporary and classic Cantonese, Szechuan and Hunan dishes, as well as live seafood specialties. Specialties include Maine Lobster Dumplings with Ginger Sauce; Minced Squab in Lettuce Petals; Crystal Florida Stone Crab Claws; Garlic Beef Tenderloin, and Imperial Peking Duck. Surrounded on three sides by gorgeous lake and garden views, Jasmine also features music synchronized to the soaring fountains of Bellagio."

http://www.bellagio.com/pages/din_jasmine.asp#

Donna_M Mar 26th, 2007 12:46 PM

Thanks!! We ended up choosing Daniel Boulud Brasserie at the Wynn because we are going to Spamalot that night. The menu is more bistro and I have read good reviews. We requested a table by the window for the lake view and water "show". I don't know why no one seems to want to dress up anymore but my husband and I like to ( maybe because we are a housewife and construction worker who both wear jeans every day! )and it's hard to find places dressier than "business casual". We're doing Tao the first night and then heading over to Mandalay Bay because their clubs are open on Monday night.
I haven't been to any spas in Vegas. We're staying at the Venetian and I have read that their spa is a little "clinical" but I think people seem to like their treatments.

Dreamer2 Mar 26th, 2007 02:13 PM

Thanks to you too!
I've heard Daniel Boulud is wonderful, and you will LOVE Spamalot.
Have fun!