Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best night to book for Dan Tana's, LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-night-to-book-for-dan-tanas-la-640995/)

Hel Aug 22nd, 2006 06:27 AM

Best night to book for Dan Tana's, LA

Hey there! I know hoping to see George Clooney enjoying a pizza is highly unlikely, but does anyone know which nights of the week are the most fun/lively/star-studded at Dan Tana's in West Hollywood and also the best time of the evening to book a table for please? I guess it's going to be difficult to get a reservation during the most popular times, but you've got to try, haven't you?! Cheers!

rjw_lgb_ca Aug 22nd, 2006 07:25 AM

Dan Tana's is "old Hollywood" to the max; the word "hip" is only associated with this place when followed by the word "replacement".

Therefore, it's just "retro" and "anti-hip" enough that you should see someone relatively to very famous any night. However, the main clientèle keeping the place in business are dying off daily, so go NOW.

By the way, going anywhere in LA or NYC with the express intent of seeing "stars" is practically a sure way of NOT seeing anyone at all. Call it good karma or kismet or serendipity, but they will find you when you least expect it. At least in my experience.

Hel Aug 24th, 2006 01:11 AM

At last, somewhere I can feel young - a lot of the bars and restaurants in the north-east England town where I live are populated by a young, young teen crowd that make me, at 38, feel like a dinosaur!! (Oh, to be young again!) Retro and anti-hip sounds like music to my ears.

Do you reckon a booking for about 9pm mid-week sounds about right? Many thanks...

placeu2 Aug 24th, 2006 05:11 AM

Hel...sorry, no help on your question but you have me rolling on the floor here!

Dinosaur at 38, followed by "Do you reckon...."

I have a vision of Jedd and Granny comin to Calyfornnniay lookin for a seement pond...much as I would rather picture Ellie Mae!

Hel Aug 25th, 2006 09:04 AM

Eeeee no, honestly...despite what I may have made myself sound like, I'm a YOUNG 38 - honestly!!!! And although Middlesbrough isn't exactly the centre of the civilised world, I am pretty well-travelled too!
But thanks anyway for your message, I too am now on the floor laughing!!!

Erin74 Aug 29th, 2006 01:57 PM

You are NOT going to have a star sighting at Dan Tana's. That place is really old school-- and I while I like it for the kitsch value, it is neither "hip" nor "happening." And certainly not "lively" or difficult to get a reservation.

If you're looking for someplace young and current, try Koi. Other suggestions: AOC, Falcon, Les Deux.

BayouGal Aug 29th, 2006 02:07 PM

*the word "hip" is only associated with this place when followed by the word "replacement"

*the main clientèle keeping the place in business are dying off daily, so go NOW

*I have a vision of Jedd and Granny comin to Calyfornnniay

You guys are hilarious! You have us all rollling on the floor laughing! :-D

Hel, I really wish you had replied to placeu2 with, "Weeeeeeee, doggie!"

Why don't you all mosey on over to that question thread and give it a whirl. It sounds like you are all naturals! ;-)

P_M Aug 29th, 2006 02:49 PM

This is too funny!!

I knew a family once who went to Nashville with the intention of seeing C&W music stars. They had been told that ALL of the C&W stars are out and about in downtown Nashville, and the stars are happy to mix and mingle with fans on the street. All you have to do is just hang out somewhere downtown, and you are sure to meet plenty of stars.

So this family sat in the park from early morning until nightfall. Can you believe, they didn't see ONE SINGLE STAR?? They were so disappointed and their trip was ruined.

I bet they went snipe hunting on their next vacation.

Disclaimer: These were not close friends of mine, just acquaintances.

Neopolitan Aug 29th, 2006 02:51 PM

I went there a couple years ago thinking it was supposed to be a great place for food, but was sorely disappointed. I'm nearing Social Security and felt like a youngster there.

You just never know where you'll see someone famous. Today I had lunch at Nate and Al's and among all the oldsters, there was Jason Bateman (and his very pregnant wife?). I'm really bad at recognizing people, but I'm 99% sure that was also Molly Ringwald at one booth -- must have been as she was surely turning a lot of heads.

BayouGal Aug 29th, 2006 03:46 PM

Yeah, right P_M. That was you and Mr. P_M wasn't it?!?!

Don't feel bad, we were the original snipe hunters! ;-)

Neo, I just love name droppers! :) And I adored Molly Ringwald when she was in her heyday? How is she aging?

P_M Aug 29th, 2006 04:39 PM

Yeah, of course that was us, we are SO busted. :-[ But that's OK, because next year we're going jackalope hunting in Wyoming, and you aren't!! And when we come home with a beautiful prized jackelope to mount on the wall, then we'll just see who's laughing.... [-X

Here's a web page with some of my favorite jackalope pics:

http://junior.apk.net/~mnovak/jackalopes/pics/

P_M Aug 29th, 2006 04:45 PM

YIKES, the link didn't come all the way across. Please copy and paste the entire text.