Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best New York Plays (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-new-york-plays-590145/)

carioca Feb 11th, 2006 08:46 AM

Best New York Plays

Hi
We will be once again in New York in may and would like your advice for good plays and also musicals.
We would like to buy tickets in advance as we did in the past years.
Thanks again

jtp Feb 11th, 2006 11:01 AM

If you have not already sign-up for www.playbill.com - you will get some good offers -- what have you already seen? If you have not seen: Wicked, Jersey Boys, Rabbit Hole -- some suggestions...

HowardR Feb 11th, 2006 12:32 PM

The best play currently on Broadway is Doubt. Discount tickets are available on www.playbill.com and broadwaybox.com.
When are you coming? There are some interesting ones openings in April.
As for musicals, the current production of Sweeney Todd is brilliant....but it's not for everyone.

carioca Feb 12th, 2006 01:34 AM

Hi Howard
Last may we saw Doubt, as you suggested one year ago. We loved it. We will be arriving may 13 and staying till may 27.
We also saw Spamalot.
Thanks

HowardR Feb 12th, 2006 05:19 AM

You are fortunate, as there will be a possible wealth of riches for straight plays in the spring, listed as limited runs (in alphabetical order):
*Faith Healer, Brial Friel's latest starring Ralph Fiennes and Cherry Jones.
*The History Boys, a hit London play.
*Three Days of Rain, starring Julia Roberts and Paul Rudd.
The latter is already a tough ticket.
In addition, there's the Roundabout Theater production of Joe Orton's Entertaining Mr. Sloane.
On the musical side, as previously mentioned, the revival of Sweeney Todd is brilliant.
Also coming in April is the Roundabout Theater revivial of The Threepenny Opera, starring Alan Cumming, Cyndi Lauper and Jim Dale.

sunnydelite Feb 12th, 2006 05:25 AM

Pajama Game with Harry Connick (my idol!) is playing too starting Feb. 23 til June.....

carioca Feb 12th, 2006 07:18 AM

How wonderful!
I will try to buy today my tickets for Three Days of Rain.
Do you think I should also buy Sweeney Todd in advance?
I will research the other plays in Playbill.

HowardR Feb 12th, 2006 08:57 AM

I'd wait a little bit on the Sweeney Todd tickets if you're planning to go to a midweek performance, as there is current a discount offer for midweek performances through mid-March. However, if you're planning to go on a weekend, get the tickets now.

mclaurie Feb 12th, 2006 09:51 AM

Saw Pajama Game last night. Rollicking good time. Harry is terrific.

carioca Feb 12th, 2006 05:03 PM

I was trying to buy tickets for Three Days of Rain at ticketmaster or telecharge,but I could not find in their sites any phone number to call. Is it still possible to call? Would you have the phone numbers?

HowardR Feb 13th, 2006 04:46 AM

Three Days of Rain ticket orders might still be restricted to Amex gold card orders. Check with Ticketmaster.

HowardR Feb 13th, 2006 04:48 AM

Oops, that should be Telecharge for Three Days of Rain--211-239-6200 or 800-432-7250.

TarheelsInNj Feb 13th, 2006 06:51 AM

Three Days of Rain tickets are now open to the public- visit Telecharge.com to purchase.

Rabbit Hole could also be a good one for you, if it's still running (they haven't announced an end date at this time).

If you enjoyed Spamalot and are looking for a similarly fun evening out (as opposed to a serious drama) check out Jersey Boys, Pajama Game, and Wedding Singer (opens in April). Tarzan will also be open by then.

PalmPilot Feb 14th, 2006 05:28 AM

Any of you theatre buffs heard any buzz about "Grey Gardens" at Playwrights Horizon? Limited run I understand, but tickets are selling out. Curious if anyone has seen.

Devyan1 Mar 3rd, 2006 08:00 PM

I have some extras for Three Days of rain if anyone is interested

[email protected]

carioca Apr 3rd, 2006 12:24 PM

Hi
I have already your previous recomendations.
Have you seen any new plays ?
I am still waiting for tickets offers after april as we will be travelling may 12.

Thanks again.

Neopolitan Apr 3rd, 2006 12:35 PM

I'm anxiously awaiting the new musical The Drowsy Chaperone starring Sutton Foster which is already on sale with discounts for May. It has earned mainly rave reviews from its West Coast performances.

A number of good shows have now extended their discounts through the usual sources named above until past your arrival date in May. I would think all of the below shows would be well worth seeing -- and all offer major discounts.

Faith Healer
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
History Boys
Light in the Piazza
The Color Purple
The Wedding Singer

mclaurie Apr 3rd, 2006 12:56 PM

I heard the Wedding Singer is good.

TarheelsInNj Apr 3rd, 2006 01:02 PM

I have been hearing wonderful things about Drowsy Chaperone. From what I understand, it can be a bit "insidery," but if you're a Broadway/theatre fan, you'll enjoy it.

Neopolitan Apr 3rd, 2006 01:32 PM

The Wedding Singer got mixed reviews in Seattle, but has been reworked extensively for its Broadway opening. In any case it is by the same people who did Hairspray and there seems to be pretty universal agreement that the sets, costumes, and overall production values of the 1980's show is great fun. It doesn't officially open on Broadway until late April, so there are no true reviews yet.

I have my front row mezzanine seats for mid May. Can't wait.