Best New York hotel: The New York Helmsley or Four Points Sheraton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to stay in mid-town/Times Square area and have the choice of two Starwood properties:

The New York Helmsley OR
Four Points Sheraton

Would welcome opinions as to which is the better property as far as quality of the room and location to transportation and sights such as museums and other local attractions.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:22 AM

The Four Points is a new hotel in a very central location. The Helmsley is an older hotel on the east side, about a block from Grand Central. The Four Points will have proximity to more subway lines while the Helmsley is closer to Grand Central. Both are convenient. What I can't tell you is if the Helmsley has been thoroughly renovated since Starwood took it over. But if you want a new hotel, choose the Four Points.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

I like the close proximity to subway lines and the very central location as we will be seeing sights all over. The fact that it's newer is also good so I think I'll go with Four Points, thanks!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM

I stayed at the Four Points back in May and it was wonderful on every level except those beds were the worst I've ever slept in (and I stay only at Starwood properties for the most part). The mattresses were SO soft that I could barely sleep. It was like laying on a giant marshmallow! Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but other than that the hotel really was great. Great service, nice rooms, very clean...and the location was perfect. It was less than a block to the subway.

As for the Helmsley, I've never stayed at that property but a collegue of mine did and she wasn't impressed. She didn't care much for the location and said the decor left something to be desired. I've looked at their website and the pictures make the hotel look absolutely beautiful but I guess it's not as nice as it appears, but again, this is just what I'm told.

Good luck and have fun on your trip
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. We are staying with the Four Points. I like a soft bed but hope they aren't so soft that we can't sleep! Oh well, we don't plan on sleeping much anyway, we only have 3 days.