Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Nat'l Park (from someone who has been to many) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-natl-park-from-someone-who-has-been-to-many-194642/)

National Apr 9th, 2002 03:56 AM

Best Nat'l Park (from someone who has been to many)

I have many great memories of our national parks, like Rocky Mtn. Park, Voyageurs (MN), and Everglades. Yosemite is also a favorite.<BR><BR>Any national park junkies out there? If so, what is your favorite?

Tom Apr 9th, 2002 04:29 AM

Yellowstone use to be my favorite until the fires. 12 years later and the burned area is still unbelieveable. Ugly! Such a shame!

Serena Apr 9th, 2002 04:42 AM

Glacier National Park is our favorite. The road to the sun is great. We were there in the fall, the last day of October and the park was beautiful.

Paul Rabe Apr 9th, 2002 04:44 AM

I've visited 176 areas administered by the NPS, and consider my three favorites to be Grand Canyon, Yosemite, and Yellowstone.

xxx Apr 9th, 2002 04:55 AM

VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK HAWAII

connie Apr 9th, 2002 05:24 AM

Yellowstone will always be my favorite--fire or not. <BR><BR>There is still a lot of beauty and wonder. One advantage to the fire is that you can see more scenery. When the trees were all there that was all you could see. There is still a lot of the park that was not touched by the fire.<BR><BR>I'm always surprised that the burned trees is all people see. I guess it depends on your perspective--the half empty or half full thing.<BR><BR>Glacier is a very close second. The scenery is more spectacular but besides hiking, there is less to do there.

Utahtea Apr 9th, 2002 06:50 AM

I'm a National Park Junkie too. We always buy the National Park pass and always get about twice our monies worth out of it.<BR><BR>Yellowstone, Yosemite, Arches, Zion, Capitol Reef and Jasper & Banff National Park in Canada are my favorites.<BR><BR>I'm with Connie on Yellowstone. We purposely went to Yellowstone the year after the fire. It was beautiful with all the wildflowers and all these cute little trees just sprouting out. The best thing about that year was there were NO crowds because they were scared off because they thought it would be ugly. <BR><BR>I don't consider it a vacation unless we make it to a couple national parks:)<BR><BR>Utahtea<BR><BR>

travellyn Apr 9th, 2002 10:00 AM

Yosemite is my favorite, and Yellowstone runs a close second.<BR><BR>I've been to several (18-20) national parks in the Western US, as well as the Everglades, St John, USVI, Hot Springs, sites in New Orleans, and a few others on the East coast.<BR><BR>I haven't yet been to parks in Hawaii or Alaska. I have officially visited Glacier, but don't really count it, since I went to Waterton on the Canadian side with a brief trip across the lake to Glacier.

Howard Apr 9th, 2002 01:37 PM

In alphabetical order, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Yosemite.

kate Apr 9th, 2002 02:10 PM

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Glacier and the sister Park, Waterton, across the Canadian Border in Alberta. Both are fantastic -- great wildlife, fantastic hiking. We did get caught in a hail storm (in late June) climbing down one of the mountain trails, but even that was kind of fun!<BR><BR>We also like Sequoia and King's Canyon National Parks (just below Yosemite in California.) They don't have the famous views from the Yosemite Valley floor (think Ansel Adams's photos) but there are plenty of other amazing views to see. As the name suggests, you can see lots of Sequoias (Redwood trees). Plus, there are WAY fewer people than in Yosemite (we went in August because we couldn't get camping spots in Yosemite -- best thing that could have happened to us.) I would definitely recommend going to these parks -- they're well worth it.

Howard Apr 9th, 2002 02:28 PM

Forgot one: Mesa Verde

Texas Chick Apr 9th, 2002 03:31 PM

My top 5:<BR><BR>1) Hawaii Volcanoes<BR>2) Yellowstone<BR>3) Yosemite<BR>4) Grand Teton<BR>5) Denali<BR><BR>I'm going to Badlands for the first time next month. Not sure what to expect.

Utahtea Apr 9th, 2002 03:39 PM

To Texas Chick,<BR><BR>Badlands is nice but not on the grand scale of the 5 you listed. <BR><BR>Utahtea

L'homme de bois Apr 9th, 2002 04:45 PM

Excluding Canada, I'd say Glacier, Yosemite, Zion, Arches and Mount Rainier. If we were to include Canada, then I'd put Yoho NP (especially the Lake O'Hara segment)ahead of Glacier.

kathy Apr 9th, 2002 05:33 PM

Try Acadia National Park.