Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best national park lodges--luxury and beauty?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I stayed at Crescent Lake lodge in Washington this past summer. We loved the beautiful scenery--hiking, mountains and the ambience of the lodge. The rooms were very basic--but the common lodge was lovely--ambience, scenery, and great food. We are looking for more of the same--better rooms if possible--with the great outdoors at our doorstep. Doesn't necessarily have to be a np lodge. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood in Oregon. Beautiful place, and of course great hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM

That's always been my experience, too, in national park lodges all over the West-beautiful common areas, great architecture and scenery but dated bare bones rooms (and in my experience-I've never stayed at Lake Crescent-dismal food). I've always thought the hotel concessionaires take advantage of their position-like a sort of slumlord. They know people will come so who cares that the light is a bare bulb hanging from the ceiling. I'm looking forward to the responses here to see if anyplace stands out above the rest.

Just fyi-Timberline Lodge isn't in a national park. Definitely a great place, though.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM

ttt
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Christy is right. It is not in a National Park. It is a National Historic Landmark though, and all built by hand. The rooms are more basic, not luxurious, but the entire lodge is just really interesting and fun to explore.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM

El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon South Rim, celebrated its 100th anniv. earlier this year with a $4.6 million renovation. It was built in 1905 to resemble a European hunting lodge, so you could say designed more for comfort than luxury. You can't beat the scenery. Only 3 canyon view rooms, but the building is right there. Just walk out the door, you can sit on the porch and enjoy the view, whether you stay there or not!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:27 AM
ltt

if you wanted to venture up to canada -
emerald lake lodge - think it's in banff national park but maybe yoho
jasper park lodge - jasper, alberta
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM
MaureenB

I haven't seen the rooms, but the commons areas and restaurant of the Yosemite Lodge are very nice.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Bryce Canyon Lodge UT is wonderful. I recommend the cabins, which are set among the trees not far from the canyon rim.

The Ahwahneee at yosemite is absolutely the be-all and end-alll. We always stay at a B & B (accessible only via an interior park road but somehow on private property at a 6000ft elevation) but spend at least one evening at the rstaurant and great rooms at the lodge. Also a great place for a late afternoon cocktail.

Then there's Jenny Lake Lodge at grand teton nat Pk. Very shi-shi. The back porch at Jackson Lodge is a great place for a cocktail.

At Grand canyon we had one of the handful of original rim view cabins, right on the path along the rim. talk about a view from your front porch! great vintage furniture in those, and quite roomy. They are part of Bright Angel lodge. Must reserve WAY in advance, as with all the best places--6 mos to a yr ahead...

I recommend a certain book, which gives you GREAT info on ALL the park lodges, right down to which rooms are best, where the trees are, and which room number you should avoid. It is a bible for us, especially if you would like to look at the trip from a starting point of...which lodges look the most wonderful to visit?

"The Complete Guide to the National Park Lodges"
by David L. Scott and Kay W. Scott
publ. Globe Pequot
ISBN# 0-7627-2826-4
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Emerald Lake Lodge is in Yoho NP.
the Canadians do it a little differently than we do. The lodges like Emerald Lake are private concessions and not subject to as many regulations like the ones in the US. However, improvements must be cleared with Parks Canada.

You will understand why when you look at the prices. Rooms at Emerald Lake Lodge run something like $315 a night in July but are much cheaper right now.

Meals are not included in the simple rates.

The Christmas package is indicative of more typical prices:
For one night with food, the starting price is $180 per person before taxes. I think taxes run about 15%.

The New Year's package for 2 is $276.00 per person.
That is 1 night with a gourmet dinner.

The accountants and market staff use a variable price yield management model. Depending on when you go here, the prices can vary widely. Very widely.
You do not see prices quoted on the web until you specify the exact dates.

Still cheaper than Lake O'Hara Lodge where prices run about $500 C for a 2 person cabin, but the cabins are summer time places.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:57 PM

catherinee,
The Ahwahnee at Yosemite would be my choice. The Yosemite Lodge is a motel type property.

We are thinking of staying at Lake Crescent this summer. What room type did you have? Thanks.

-Bill
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM

As others mentioned, the Ahwhanee at Yosemite is generally considered one of the best combinations of rooms and ambiance; even there though, while the rooms are quite nice, they won't necessarily be up to the setting.

Crater Lake lodge was pretty much rebuilt from the ground up a few years ago; the quality and condition was quite good when we stayed there.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM
MaureenB

Sorry-- I meant the Ahwahnee (sp?) Lodge in Yosemite.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I wish I would have reached out sooner. I am going to check out the Timberline at Mt. Hood Jenny Lake Lodge and Emerald Lake lodge. I have thought about Ahwahnee, but I dont want to pay $500 - 700 per night. Because of my job, I must always travel peak season, so I rarely get a "deal". I will also definitely buy the book nm1hats recommended.

As for crescent lake lodge--the rooms were adequate--but very basic--no TV, which we would have liked to have.It is only 16 miles from POrt Angeles, a faily large town, therefore our cell phones worked. I asked for an obstructed view of the lake and got one--don't remember the #--the lodge was outstanding, as was the food. I don't know who said the food was "dismal". When we went in July 05 the food was divine, and the chef was published in a book of "best chefs". I am a good cook and have high food standards, and couldn't have been more satisfied--fresh, great quality, and lovely presentation--very "upscale".
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM

I said that in my experience food in national parks was dismal but that I had NOT eaten at Lake Crescent so I can't judge them.

Thanks to the person who posted that book recommendation-that sounds great.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Grand Canyon Lodge, on the North Rim.