New York City Hotel for Thanksgiving with 6 yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 6 yr old son and myself are coming to NYC for Thanksgiving primarily to see the Macy's Day Parade Live. Could you advise us where to stay? Is Time Square too far? Thanks from Memphis
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM

What is your budget? Hotels for Thanksgiving are very expensive. We stayed at the Residence Inn a few years ago, and it was $400 a night (but better hotels were that much MORE expensive). It was a good choice for location, size of room (except the bathroom is really small) and the fact that they serve a buffet breakfast (included in the price).
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The Hampton Inn Times Square North or the Staybridge Suites Times Square would be good choices.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM

The parade route is from the Museum of Natural History (CPW and 79th) to Herald Square (in front of Macy's - 34/35th St and B'way/6th Ave.)

Times Square is near the lower end of the route and if you want to see the parade there you will need to get a spot early (7am at the latest) and then stand until it gets there. (People start turning up at 6am near the end of the route). Frankly I would not stay in that area with a 6 year old since it is franticly busy and cule be intimidating. Also the clser to the parae route the higher the prices.

How long will you be in the city and what else do you want to do/see? Also, what is your budget?
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM

While the parade no longer goes through Times Square, it passes within a 5- to 10-minute walk of there. To be honest, you really don't want a hotel directly on the parade route. It's far too crowded, particularly with a child.

As long as your hotel is convenient to public transit, any hotel room in Manhattan will work for you (even in the Financial District, which is pretty far from most everything you'll want to see and do but still reasonable by subway).

Just be aware that any room that might go for $150 right now is likely to cost close to $400 for Thanksgiving, which is typically the most expensive and busiest week of the entire year in NYC. Also, be aware that not all rooms in Manhattan have 2 beds; many in fact are so small they cannot accommodate a rollaway. So that has to figure into your search.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM

When we stayed at the Residence Inn, which is on Sixth Avenue at about 40th street, you wouldn't even have known that there was a parade that day unless you were out looking for it.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If all else fails there is the Manhattan Hostel. Prices start at $40/night per bed. bathrooms/showers down the hall.
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel060003.en.htm
Never stayed there but I have stayed at many other HI hostels.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 04:34 PM

You need to check if they will allow children -- may hostels are adults only - unless you get one of their private rooms (which will be much more money).

If you have a very low budget there are optios for staying outside Manhattan (LIC has some good choices) and b eonly 15 minutes to midtown.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM

Just curious (really!) why there are suggestions for cheap hotels, hostels etc when the poster made no mention of a budget limit. I realize that some visitors to NYC underestimate the cost of hotels, and it can be a service to offer lower priced alternatves when asked. But isn't the OP just asking for practical hotel location and parade going suggestions as far as we know? (""Could you advise us where to stay? Is Time Square too far? )
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If I could take a 20 minute subway ride and save $200+ per night I would certainly stay at the HI Hostel.
Family rooms are available. They even have a game room.
http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostel060003.en.htm#tabs=2
If money is no object, check the prices at the Ritz-Carlton.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
There is no way I'd stay at a hostel in NYC.

HisMom, there are plenty of options for you to consider rather than going the hostel route or off island.

The two hotels I recommended (see above) both offer larger rooms with two beds and free breakfasts. The Staybridge Suites also has a kitchenette in the room. The locations would be what I would choose if I were in your shoes. In fact, I did stay in the area for Thanksgiving three years ago. You can get up early if you want to see all of the parade (see some trip reports from last year) or you can just wander over and watch part of the parade and then go on somewhere else - or back to your hotel room to watch the rest of the parade on TV. I've done that when it's been bitterly cold and windy. My first Thankgiving in NYC was in the early 90s and I stayed in an apartment within feet of the Hampton Inn.

I would definitely book something now and if you find a better deal later, cancel the room. The later you wait the more likely it will be the rates will go up and it will be hard to find a place you like.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all y'all's responses. Hoping to keep our hotel bill to around $400 a night. Starrs we are looking at the Hampton Inn Time Square North. We will be staying from Wed. Nov 20- Sat Nov 24. Other things we want to do are touristy, Statue of Liberty, FAO, Met, Rockettes and top of the rock.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM

Actually, hotel prices over Thanksgiving were not terrible last year. $400.00 a night should get you exactly what you would expect at that price.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM

check out the Hotel Beacon, a five minute walk to the start of the parade. I am curious about their room rates for that weekend. I was able to book a 1 bedroom suite there last Tgiving for under $300.00 a night.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 07:29 PM

And next year's rate for your dates are $375.00 a night for a one bedroom suite. (not much more than what I paid for a room at this hotel a few weeks ago!). Added taxes and fees bring this above your budget, but the location is perfect for you and you'd be close to the American Museum of Natural History. Take a look around at the hotels on the UWS.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:26 AM

Agree that with a child a hotel on the upper west side is a much better choice. If gives you easy access to central park (playgrounds, zoo, bike and boat rentals), plus near the Museum of Natural Hist (ALL kids love this) and a lot of good inexpensive/moderate restaurants that welcome kids since it is a family neighborhood. (Many restaurants near Times Quare are poor, of the the same places you see at the mall with much higher prices - and not good value.) Also the UWS has 2 subway lines so you have easy access to the rest of the city.

The Beacon is a great choice - large rooms/suite at moderate prices. Other potential choices are Excelsior, On the Ave and Lucern.

Assuming you ar ethere in advance you should also go to see the balloons blown up the night before the parade - right next to the Mus Nat Hist.