first to that part of the world

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! We are from Nevada and are going to that side of the world in June. Still deciding where to go. So far have thought to start in Portland and work our way up to Nova Scotia, and then into Montreal. Dropping back down to leave from either New York or Vermont, more than likely Vermont, depending on the Airport situation.
My first question is can we drive from Portland to Bar Harbor along the coast and if so how long should we spend doing this. We will have around 2 weeks do this. We don't want to drive all the time hopefully spend a few days in each place. We are open to all suggestions. Places to stay hopefully along the water oh Places to eat. Ok first of many questions thanks in advance for the help Cleo
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:39 AM

I wondered which part of the world is "that part". Still not sure
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:53 AM

I think Cleo13 means she is planning to visit Portland Maine and then from there drive to Bar Harbor, Nova Scotial, Montreal and finally to Vermont or New York before going "back home", wherever that maybe. I asume she is going to fly into Portland, rent a car for the driving trip and fly back home and she wants to do it all in 2 weeks.

I'm not an expert in that area of the country but it think given the distances between those major points the trip is a bit to ambitious.

I suggest that Cleo take a look at a good road map to get an idea of the distances involved. She could also plug her destinations into Mapquest to get some idea of the driving times afterwich she can figure out if she has enough time to drive to all those places and still have enough time to actually stop and see something other than highways, gas stations and billboards.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:57 AM
sistahlou

yeah, I at first saw Nevada and thought Portland Oregon, and then thought.....

It may be wise to repost with a title like Portland Maine roadtrip advice needed.

Goodluck

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

oops I always have some kind of typo thought I did pretty good ha didn't look at the title! Can I edit my page??UG! We are not sure about distances. I have been trying to look at maps. I just have no idea about where we are going maybe if we cut out the Nova Scotia part??? I have family in Montreal so I really would like to make that part of our trip while seeing upper New England as well. Thanks
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Cleo, no, you can't make edits in a posted message. But you can post another one, with a different title, and also on the Canadian board.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Cleo, if you mean you are flying into Portland, Maine and have two weeks to drive up to Nova Scotia, to Montreal, then fly back home to Nevada, I think you can do a version of that plan.

I suggest you consider flying into Bangor and use the Acadia region (Bar Harbor or the beautiful Schoodic Peninsula) as your base for several days, then drive up to Nova Scotia for several days, then over to Montreal and fly home from there.

Nova Scotia's coast will provide lovely scenery, eliminating the need to drive up the Maine coast from Portland. But you will need to do some reading and planning in order to find out the best route from Nova Scotia to Montreal (or post on the Canada forum for that part of your trip).

How many and what ages are in your group?

Kathleen