Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Maui Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-maui-beach-693407/)

hugglynn Apr 2nd, 2007 02:55 PM

Best Maui Beach

Aloha
We are trying to plan a week in June, July or August in Maui. We plan to rent a condo. Since we haven't been there before other than a day stop on a cruise, wondering what is the best beach location for us. We are very active (walking, running), would like to be near a little bit of commercial area (restaurants/shops) but doesn't have to be insanely busy. Any help will be appreciated.

Linleedo1 Apr 2nd, 2007 04:22 PM

Kanapali Beach is nice with the Whalers's Village within walking distance.We had stayed at The Sheraton Maui. It is not a condo.But, it is a beautiful place. We loved it.

LordBalfor Apr 3rd, 2007 07:25 AM

Yeah, either Ka'anapali or maybe even South Kihei near the 3 Kamaole beaches. There are lots of shops and restaurants in that area and those Kamaole beaches are very nice indeed. Lots of reasonably priced condos in the area - though generally across the road from the beach rather than right on the beach.

Ken

disnygrl21 Apr 3rd, 2007 08:52 AM

We stayed in Maui last year for 10 days and LOVED South Kihei. Our condo was great- Maui Kamaole and right across the beach from Kamaole III which is a great beach. Kihei is a nice beach town. You don't have to deal with the traffic mess up in Lahaina and Kaanipali, there are great restaurants/shops, but it is much more relaxed. Plus, you are close to Wailea and some of the BEST beaches on Maui. We loved Makena beach and Wailea beach is great too. Further down, there is a beautiful black sand beach, Big Beach, and some great snorkeling at Ahihi Marine Preserve (check out the Fishbowl).

gigib Apr 3rd, 2007 11:44 AM

Ditto south Kihei. When you run in the morning, and you WILL run in the morning because it's hot, go south through Wailea and beyond. The road is 2 lane with not much traffic, and you will pass Makena and Big Beach after a couple of miles. There is also a walking path a couple of miles long that fronts the 3 or 4 main Wailea resorts.

We enjoyed the Kihei Surfside, it is on the beach side of the highway, a short walk from a good beach, and all the units have nice views. It is one of the last large condo buildings before you get to Wailea. Check out www.wizardpub.com for aerial photos.

Ag3046 Apr 3rd, 2007 12:05 PM

I can't tell you the best beach because then you would know the secret and I would have to kill you.

For June/July/August- I like the western and northernish beaches- like Napili, Fleming

BTownJ Apr 3rd, 2007 12:37 PM

Disnygrl21 -

I was just reading reviews about Maui Kamaole and it sounds very nice. It looks like there is quite a spread of the condos you can get t hough, from very nice ones to ones that are run down. How did you reserve your condo for your trip? Are they certain condo numbers you would recommend?

How big is the beach near the place...Kamaole III? Is this beach very crowded? Thanks for your help!

LordBalfor Apr 3rd, 2007 01:15 PM

Kamaole 3 beach is about 1,000 feet long (similar in size to Kams 1 & 2). Though rarely deserted at peak hours, they are not generally crowded. Wee booked through VRBO.COM and stayed in this place:

http://www.vrbo.com/global/siteframe...vrbo/24976.htm

Though only a ground floor unit with a garden view, we enjoyed it very much. It is at the Kamaole Sands complex rather than the Maui Kamaole complex (next door).

You might take a look at this site:

http://www.willscondos.com/outside.htm

I've not been inside his units, but the site has LOTS of photos of the grounds of the Kamaole Sands complex, but more to the point of what you are looking for, some video of Kamaole 3 Beach. The files are HUGE so viewing is only realistic if you have a broadband connection of some sort.

Ken

LordBalfor Apr 3rd, 2007 01:24 PM

PS - I should have said, "Kamaole 3 was not crowded when we were there (in May)". Not sure about other times of the year.

Ken

sbobao Apr 16th, 2007 08:54 AM

I really like the Wailea area. It is upscale, quiet and convenient to everything. You had a beach path that you could walk or run on daily. Look out for the family of sea turtles between the Grand Wailea and the Marriott Wailea resort. Once you see them (4 to 7 of them), they are there everyday.

The Wailea area has its own upscale mall with a general store that you could buy coffee, snacks, and the best Kula pork and cabbage in their deli. We were also 1 exit away from Kihei which has a lot of local and chain resturants.

I would recommend the Wailea Ekahi Condos, they were next to the Marriott. It has ocean views and they are also on the beach path. We did a spectacular drive around West Maui, but it just seemed a lot less crowded than the beaches in Kihei or Waliea and catered more to timeshare rentals.

Julia_E Apr 16th, 2007 05:26 PM

Napili is great - close to Kaanapali, great views, nice condos in several price ranges. The beaches are rocky, but the sea life is incredible. It is quiet and peaceful, good for active people, but still close to shopping and restaurants.

Have a great day!
Julia

lunabug Apr 16th, 2007 05:44 PM

We just returned from Maui a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in the Kahana area this time and have stayed before in both North and South Kihei. Next time we have decided that we will stay in Wailea. It is just way less crowded and also seems to be less windy than Kihei. If you are into running I found that north Kihei wasn't pedestrian friendly at all, although the beach goes all the way past Sugar Beach to the north for walking / running on the beach.
The Kahana area also wasn't too pedestrian friendly.