Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best "Made in Virginia" gifts for foreigners? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-made-in-virginia-gifts-for-foreigners-484783/)

Weespxx Nov 7th, 2004 11:03 AM

Best "Made in Virginia" gifts for foreigners?

We live in Williamsburg and are going "back home" to Europe for a visit next week. I'd like to take some good typical Virginia items for our friends and family (adults & young kids). Has anyone got any "must get" items that are tried and true?

Thanks!

ncgrrl Nov 7th, 2004 11:23 AM

A ham? Might be hard to take on the plane though.
Boiled peanuts (but I think it's out of season)
Coffee table picture books
Any Wmsburg craft made on site, maybe the green glass
A couple of pressed autumn leaves
College themed t-shirts or even something from the Norfolk Tides baseball

When I had U.S. friends living over sea they wanted Dorito's, Diet Mt. Dew, and ziploc bags. That was a few years ago though.

jtp Nov 7th, 2004 12:12 PM

When I lived in Virginia and wuold travel to riends in Europe - Virginia nuts were a big hit! Now you can get them in all types of flavors (hardly just Virginia anymore) but they are easy to pack. Pistachio nuts are pretty expensive, and a few months ago, chocolate flavored fruits are what I sent to family (the bing cherries places like Harry and Davids carry them) were a big treat. Flavored potato chips are also a treat but unless you do something like pringles..not so easy to pack. Scented candles, also not unique to the US but far less expensive here, are also easy to pack. Flavored teas are not unique to the US but also less expensive and you can bring an assortment of things and put together a gift basket...or wrap a gift scarf -- fill a gift stocking ...

jor Nov 7th, 2004 05:06 PM

How about a Made in Virginia Virgin? Isn't it the state motto or something?

cmcfong Nov 7th, 2004 06:00 PM

The Virginia Peanut soup? Anything chocolate from "Trellis"? A bottle from one of your excellent wineries?

rb_travelerxATyahoo Nov 7th, 2004 07:15 PM

How about something from Colonial Williamsburg's Craft Shop? Not only made in Virginia, but your city as well.

obxgirl Nov 7th, 2004 07:18 PM

Weespxx, Get thyself to the Peanut Shop and pick out a variety of their wares! My Brit relatives (young) go for the chocolate covered ones and the older group enjoys the plain and spicier varieties (crab nuts?). On the way home, stop by Zooms and pick up a bag of pork rinds to toss into the mix for a joke.

BTW, how goes your reintegration into the Burg?

Hope you have a great trip!

obxgirl Nov 7th, 2004 07:22 PM

Greetings rb_traveller! Did you make it to Wmbg during October?

Weespxx Nov 8th, 2004 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone - great advice and I'm off to shop right now. Really appreciate the ideas.

obxgirl - am loving being here! It's a bit more conservative than I'm used to, but being in town is fantastic. Thanks for asking. weespxx

Birdie Nov 8th, 2004 07:18 AM

I like the peanuts at the shop at Bypass and Richmond Rd better than the Peanut Shop's (plus parking will be easier)Master Craftsman on Richmond Rd. has beautiful pewter pieces including lovely Christmas ornaments. Many are of our native birds. Master Craftsman's pieces are made in Williamsburg as opposed to the foreign countries that Shirley buys a lot of theirs from.