Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best luxury family-friendly hotel/resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what hotels/resorts you consider to be upscale yet family friendly at the same time. I'm still optimistic that the two concepts aren't mutually exclusive! Any experiences you'd like to share?
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM
hsv

Thinking back to my days of childhood, I enjoyed most of the resort places that I travelled to with my parents.
The Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in Orlando was a resort I enjoyed tremendously as it offered one of the most amazing pools I have ever encountered plus great sports facilities such as golf courses and sunfish sailing boats.

On the other hand, I also had a great time at more conservative places such as the Four Seasons Biltmore Resort in Montecito/ Santa Barbara, CA.

Most importantly I know that my parents mutually enjoyed those particular places, too.

I think what it comes down to is that you opt for a place where the staff is not highbrowed - and that your children are well behaved, which of course I trust your children are anyway.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Both my kids and my husband and I loved the JW Marriott, Cancun.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM

The Cloister at Sea Island, GA and the Ritz Carltons in Naples and Amelia Island, FL.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Phonecian in Scottsdale AZ, The Homestead, VA, the Greenbriar WV. These were all great upscale family resorts. I agree with the above poster that the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in Orlando was also a great family friendly hotel.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Hilton Waikoloa village on the big island
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:15 PM

The Hilton Pointe resorts in Phoenix would be nice. Great pools!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM

We found the Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg to be both family friendly and pretty upscale - triple sheeting and down comforters on the beds, complimentary golf on their executive course, lots of kids activities at the resort itself plus shuttle buses to Busch Gardens and Water Country. There's a great spa and decent restaurants too.

Also love the Mt. Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods NH. Grand old hotel, swarming with kids - my favorite part is dining in the formal grand dining room (jacket and tie required)with a band playing American Standards and litle girls dancing with their dads - its like you are transported back to the 50s.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM

My best memories of vacations when I was growing up are at two resorts that are still packing 'em in: The Disney Polynesian Resort in Orlando and the Opryland Hotel in Nashville. I loved them both! Anyone been to these lately?