Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Italian & Chinese Restaurants in San Francisco???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending two nights at The Ritz Carlton over Memorial Day weekend and I am looking for a couple nice restaurants for dinner, preferably an Italian restaurant and a Chinese restaurant. I hope to avoid anything too formal--that is why I have chosen Italian and Chinese, but that alone is no guarantee.

Hopefully the restaurants would be convenient to my location at the Ritz Carlton.

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:18 PM
mjs

You are staying right next to China Town and close to North Beach so there are lots of choices. Tommaso's is not bad in North Beach.
Do not often go into China town as parking is awful, but have had pretty good Dim Sum at Kan's. Yank Sing used to be good for Dim Sum but it has gotten pricey over the last two years.
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Old May 14th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Good casual Italian can be found at Michaelangelo's in North Beach (no credit cards, just cash). AVOID THE STINKING ROSE, your concierge will very likely suggest it--beware, it is not good. As others mentioned you are right near Chinatown--Cathay House always seems to be popular, but I have never eaten there myself (parking is so bad there I eat chinese in my neighborhood).
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:06 PM

Kika, that's a matter of taste. I found the Stinking Rose to be an "OK" experience. It was fun and is at least worth one visit.
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Old May 15th, 2003, 03:14 PM
SAB

Italian: Antica Trattoria, Pesce and Albona come to mind, and my personal favorite, Delphina's (but not close to your hotel). Can't help with Chinese, don't generally eat at Chinese restaurants (more for take out). But if you are interested in Vietnamese, highly recommend Slanted Door.
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:16 PM
SAB

Forgot Pane e Vino
Old May 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Oooh Trattoria Antica, forgot about that one. Very tasty, not in north beach though.

Slanted Door is extremely good Vietnamese food, which is similar to Chinese if you're not familiar with it.

Once upon a time I had good Dim Sum at Harbor Village in Embarcadero, don't know if that is still the case. Most people seem to recommend Yank Sing.

I think the Stinking Rose experience is expensive for what you got. The garlic theme is cute and all, but ... in my book it falls into the category of "just food".
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:38 PM

Osteria Del Forno in North Beach or for a good old world experience try Bocca Giovanni. Chinese I can only say Yank Sing for dim sum in Rincon Annex.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody! I'll be arriving in San Francisco (from L.A.) in the late afternoon after doing a very tough 8.6 mile trail race with a 2,000'+ ascent and descent that will be sure to leave me hungry!

It will the 3rd anniversary of my wife and I and I would like to take her to a couple nice places, but not too stuffy.

I think we will do brunch at the Ritz Carlton on Sunday morning and then hold out for a late dinner Sunday night.

Unbelievably, I haven't been to San Francisco since I was about 15 years old (17 years ago). I've been all over the world but somehow always miss what many rate the #1 city in the world. Just wanted to get a short trip in for our anniversary before we are off to Africa for our next major holiday 10 days after San Francisco.

Thanks again.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

(any other suggestions???) Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:14 AM
SAB

You don't have to go to Italian or Chinese restaurants to avoid formal--there are lots of lovely restaurants and bistros in SF that are not formal.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Roccco,

I like Antica Trattoria in Russian Hill and also Rose Pistola off Union Street. Palio d'Asti down in the Financial District is good, although I haven't been there in a while. As for Chinese, Great Eastern in Chinatown serves up good, authentic Chinese, especially if you're looking for seafood. They also do dim sum. Being in Chinatown, however, the atmosphere is not quite as nice as Yank Sing (which in my opinion is slipping a bit).
San Francisco is really a pretty casual city, so don't worry too much about formality.

I've seen you quite a bit on the Africa forum since we're planning a trip to East Africa. Thanks for all the great info. Good luck on your run - are you doing the Mount Wilson?
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Smiley Face,

Yes...I will be doing the 8.6 mile Mt. Wilson Trail Race and it ascends something like 2,200' for the first 4.3 miles and then descends 4.3 miles. If I am lucky, I will be able to walk again within a week!

Last year I ran the L.A. Marathon right before my first trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe and I followed it up with the Rock N Roll (San Diego) Marathon in June and the Vina Del Mar (Chile) Marathon in December. Even with all that, nobody would ever confuse me with an athlete if they saw me! Probably because I am too concernced with the best Italian restaurants in town instead of the best running trails!
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:21 PM

Italian restaurants that are a little pricer, all around Washington Square in North Beach.

* Flor d'Italia - more expensive, bistro up front, formal in back (CA formal...).

* North Beach Restaurant - more traditional setting but updated interior.

* Trattoria Contadina. Older restaurant, but outstanding food.

But then, I work across from Palio and can't stand it. Too loud for me, but clearly a choice for others based on the other responses you've received.

Yang Sing is expensive and only dim sum. If you have any interst in outstanding food and are qilling to ignore the marignal settings, Yuet Lee at the corner of Washington and, I think, Stockton is great. I have friends that beg me to take them there when they come to town, even thought the lime green awning is telling of the lack of style. Found it in the Chron's "Top 10 tourists do know about" list a few years back.
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Kal

Rocco, Mrs Kal is running in this years RnR Marathon in San Diego for the Leukemia Soc/TnT.
Any tips for us (Hey. I'm the coach!) other than a carbo load?

It's her 3rd but 1st time in the RnR.
Grazie,
il Kalini
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:28 PM

Second Pane e Vino at 3011 Steiner (& Union)(415-346-2111). It's fairly casual but food is delicious and very reasonable. I've been to Italy several times and this place if authenic (should be--owner/chef is from Venice). Also, a fun neighborhood to walk around before or after dinner.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the responses!

Kal,

I really enjoyed the RnR Marathon and found it to be much easier than the L.A. Marathon.

My only tips, if you guys don't already have it covered, would be:

Use Blistershield (www.blistershield.com) if she is prone to blistering at the marathon distance.

Also, in place of Gatorade, I have found Cytomax to be superior. She could either carry a couple small ziplock bags and mix it herself with water or you could meet her every five miles or so. http://www.cytosport.com/products/cytomax.html

I'd also suggest staying at a close hotel to the start line. Many streets are closed but even after getting a late start and arriving to the race a couple minutes late, I was still there in plenty of time to cross the finish line when the back of the packers did and as a result I didn't face nearly as much foot traffic as I did at the L.A. Marathon. Plus I think the streets were wider for the first couple miles of RnR than L.A. I stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt and found it to be a very nice hotel and convenient to the start of the race and not far from the Marathon expo.

I was deceived by the final 1.2 miles of the race. I am not sure whether or not there was a 26 mile marker or not. The last 0.5 mile or so of the race is shielded by the entry into the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot and just when it seems the race is never going to end, the finish line appears.

If you are a middle of the pack to slower runner, the finish area becomes very congested. Rather than waiting for one of the buses, you may be better off just walking back to the parking area if you have parked there or find a place not too far from the finish area and park there (but keep in mind that the Mrs. has just run 26.2 miles and will not want to walk much further after that!).

Finally, while it should not affect you because as her coach I expect that you will be cheering her on all the way to the finish instead of out shopping as my Mrs. was for my finish, be aware that there are no public telephones at the MCRD and it will resemble a prison yard, at least as far as phones and convenience to getting outside.

Other than that, best of luck to the Mrs!!! I had fully intended on repeating this race myself this year and even scheduled my Africa trip around it (I am leaving on June 05th), but I spent way too much effort on planning for Africa and not nearly enough effort training for the RnR marathon and as a result unless I would like a stress fracture or similar, I will not be running the marathon this year. I literally spent 100+ hours planning my African holiday this year, and had I even only spent half that time training, I would surely be doing the RnR Marathon.

Anyway, again, best of luck!
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I was recently in San Francisco and had a great experience at Pan e Vino as recommended at this forum. Thanks!

The Concierge at the Hyatt Embarcadero does not seem to know of any other italian "quiet, romantic, with great italian food" other than North Beach Restaurant. They kept recommending it to our friends even after receiving the feedback. It is noisy, stressful, awful food and very pricey. Would not recommend it to anybody.

You will do much better by following this forums great recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -