Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza hotels in the northeast

Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally got something useful out of all of the hotel promotions going on this summer--2 free nights at almost any Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza hotel . I could also use it for a Holiday Inn or Indigo hotel, but I want the most bang for the buck.
The 2 nights do not have to be consecutive or at the same location. The deal is good until December, and as far as I can tell, only hotels in Japan are specifically excluded.

Any suggestions for an Intercontinental (which are usually all pretty nice) or a particularly good Crowne Plaza (which I find uneven) somewhere within driving distance of NYC for a weekend?. Not interested in the hotel in NYC itself, and I hadn't thought of flying, but if you know a really nice location that I could combine with some frequent flyer miles, I'd consider it.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Well there are numerous hotels in each chain - so I would look at what city (they're almost all in cities) you're most interested in. The obvious are Boston and DC for just a weekend, but without knowing how often you've been where and your interests it's hard to advise.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

Boston Intercontinental waterfront is newish and great bang for the buck. I adore their backyard with gas fed lanterns. Place has a great vibe. The doormen wore Red Sox uniforms during the playoffs, so they have a certain sense of humour, with great service. And you're across from the Rose Kennedy Greenway, close to tourist attractions and the Northend for Italian. I would consider it one of the top 5 in Boston.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did look through the lists, but there really aren't many Intercontinentals in the Northeast. Boston and DC are certainly possibilities. I hope the hotels there live up to others in the chain.
Crowne Plaza seems to be in less obviously desirable locations. Not in major cities nor resort areas. Still, sometimes a location or 2 in a chain stands out because of location or even just the hotel facility itself

What I'm looking for here is just a way to spend a free or nearly free weekend somewhere other than at home
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks also, gyppielou. You must have posted while I was posting. That kind of detail is helpful
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM

I prefer the waterfront Boston for spring/summer/fall. You can walk the harbour from IC to the Northend via a harbour walkway. In the winter, with the cold and the ice and the wind and the lack of big boats to covet, I would stay elsewhere. If you are planning the getaway in the next few months then do consider Boston
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
yk

Ditto gyppielou's suggestion of the Boston's IC. It is quite new, opened last year I believe.

I don't recommend anyone visiting Boston in the winter, no matter where they stay.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like Boston would be a good choice. I would probably go late September or October.
Topping anyway for daytime Fodorites to comment, too.