Reload this Page >

Best Indian Food & Sushi inNYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Kellser

We'll be in NY for a few days and we were wondering if someone can help us to find the BEST Indian food & Sushi...
Thanks =)

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:33 PM
sandra

The best indian food is actually in queens, jackson heights. It's called "The JAckson Diner" I believe it's in Zagat and other guides. Very good, very athentic north Indian food.Also good indian food around Lexington and also 1st & 2nd ave lot's of Indian food. This comes from my husband who is 100% Indian

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:03 PM
cuisine

I second what Sandra states. Jackson Diner does have the best Indian food along with attractive prices. If your taste lies in vegetarian food check out Dimple at 11W 30th St. It's not known for it's decor nor for it's service... however the food is really good and the prices very attractive.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:17 AM
John K

Hi Kellser,
Everyone has their opinion about what is the "best" of anything but I would highly recomment Salam Bombay in Tribeca (Manhattan). The food is great and they have an excellent price fixed lunch for $11.95. No reservations necessary at lunch but you probably will want them if you go for dinner.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Mike

As for sushi, I'd recommend Blue Ribbon Sushi.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:06 AM
al

You won't regret a trip out to the Jackson Diner, right in the middle of an Indian neighborhood in Queens. Your best bet is to take the "E" subway towards Queens and get of 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue in Queens, not a long ride since the "E" doesn't make many stops in Queens. Go upstairs to the street and look for 74th Street. Jackson Diner is on the right side about 1/3 of the way down the block. If you can't find 74th Street or the restaurant, just ask. A word of warning: I don't think they take credit cards. If they do, I'll post again and tell you.

There's also lots of good Indian Restaurants in Manhattan, on 6th Street, east of 2nd Avenue, but Jackson Diner beats them all.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:43 AM
indianfood

I agree with 'cuisine' above re: Dimple -- I think it's better than the Jackson Diner personally, but it's true decor and service are not the strengths here -- it's a little divey--but the food and price can't be beat. I also really like Pongal in Curry hill (high 20's on lex)

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:38 AM
jill

BLUE RIBBON SUSHI!!! get the early early or else wait wait wait. We usually go around 5-6pm for an early dinner and sit at the sushi bar. It's pure art in action, the food is impeccable, and the prices are really great -- not too much above any other good sushi restaurant but the cuisine is miles high.

For Indian, we like most of the places on Lexington in the 30th as someone mentioned. It's the 'Indian' area. If you go, be sure to visit the huge spice/food/snack shop whose name I forget (begins with a K) and it's famous and wonderful!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Michelle

Blue Ribbon Sushi, without a doubt. Be prepared to wait (a loooooong time). Salam Bombay is also very, very good.. in my opinion.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Elizabeth

Indian: Dawat. Madhur Jaffrey makes a cotribution to the menu planning. It is usually ranked as the best Indian in Manhattan by Zagat's etc.

Dawat also owns the Spice Safe restaurants, one on University Place and one in the food court at Grand Central Station.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
monica

I'm Indian, and strongly disagree with the view that Jackson Diner is the best Indian in New York. It really depends what you are looking for. In my opinion Tamarind is the best Indian restaurant in NY. It is s a high-end sophisticated Indian restaurant that serves excellent traditional Indian food. One of the partners from Dawat left, and started Tamarind. It also won the Timeout award for the best new Indian restaurant. Jackson Diner is a hole in the wall in comparison and I have major reservations about the food !!!!