Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best ideas for 4-day long weekend trip, flying in & out of Denver?

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH & I will be flying into Denver and renting a car on a Friday morning and flying out the following Tuesday morning, so we will basically have 4 full days to spend, Friday-Monday. This will be in early September. We don't want to spend any time in Denver itself -- we want to drive and see some beautiful scenery. We have previously been to Boulder, Rocky Mountain National Park, Telluride, Durango, and Mesa Verde/Four Corners area, so would like to go somewhere different this time. We are adventuresome and enjoy hiking, photography, wildlife, mountains, art galleries, casual restaurants with good food & wine, etc. Where would you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Well, you've hit just about all the best spots in Colorado, but one place that came to mind was Aspen. It will be gorgeous in early Sept. Lots of activities you mentioned, great restaurants and lodging, exquisite fall mountain scenery at Maroon Bells, day trips to the top of Independence Pass, Snowmass, Glenwood Springs for their hot springs pool, or biking through Glenwood Canyon. I think you'd love it!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

That sounds perfect. Any recommendations for good value accommodations in Aspen for that time of year? Anything around say $150/night?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I've stayed at the Mountain Chalet Aspen and it's a great value for the money and outstanding location. http://www.mountainchaletaspen.com/

Clean and friendly accommodations with breakfast included. A few steps from everywhere in downtown. Make reservations soon because September is very popular.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Aspen, for sure!

The Gant is our favorite condo hotel in Aspen proper, and maybe September is off-season, but I'm not sure if it would be $150. Ask them about their standard studios, or their smallest one bedroom.

I recommend you stay in Aspen itself, not Snowmass, especially in September. There's something special about old Aspen town.

There's also Aspen Square condo hotel, but it's more expensive. Or the Hotel Jerome is the best one there, IMHO.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

We don't necessarily need a condo, just a hotel room would be fine.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM

We've stay in Snowmass Village (just outside of Aspen) at the Silvertree Hotel. Nice hotel and great location, but I can't remember the room rates.

If your hearts not set on Aspen, you might want to look into Steamboat as well. It's an awesome little town and has everything you're looking for.