Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best hotels & most beautiful churches in Pittsburgh & Bangor, Maine?

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 10:15 AM
Lisa

Hi, again! I will be traveling often to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Bangor, Maine. Can anyone recommend good lodging and the most beautiful churches to see? I enjoy visiting Catholic churches, or any churches that are reverent and lovingly built. Thankl for your help!

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 03:48 PM
kam

In Pittsburgh the grand old hotel is the William Penn, whiich is now owned by one of the big names. Would recommend it. In Oakland is the cathedral for the Catholic Diocese. On top of Mt. Washington, along with a beautiful view of the city and some good restaurants is a small old German Catholic church--can't remember the name of it. In Mt. Lebanon (southern suburbs) is St. Bernard's R.C. Church with two churches---up and down and an outstanding organ. Can't help with Bangor, however. Have fun.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 03:37 PM
bo

Go to this site for a Bangor Maine chat site that
is sponsored by the local NBC affiliate. These
folks will be able to help you out.

http://www.wlbz.com/chat/index.html

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 09:30 PM
Polly

I just watched a documentary last night that mentioned a church in Pittsburg that has Tiffany stained glass windows. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name. Surely, if you ask at the hotel desk, they will be able to point you in the right direction. Definitely worth the research...a "don't miss" in my department.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 05:16 AM
Lisa

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I'm looking forward to exploring! Happy traveling to you!

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 08:04 AM
Jeff

Don't miss Heinz Chapel on the University of Pittsburgh campus. And the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral just a block away from that. I second the vote for the Westin William Penn as far as hotels. Enjoy. Email me for more info..I'm a pittsburgher.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 07:13 PM
denise

in the strip district is a church called st. patricks. it's behind a wendys, i think. there are three churches in the world that have holy steps. one is in rome that Jesus walked up, one in canada and one in pittsburgh, obviously he didn't walk up these two. you can only get to the top by kneeling up 28 steps and a prayer goes with each step. ask anybody where the strip is and whooly's fish market. it is a small church that in WWII families would do the steps to bring their loved ones home, my mother was one of them. it is worth seeing. have fun. try a primanti brothers sandwich also in the strip.