Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel w/ 2 teenagers in downtown Chicago?

Sep 26th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Have priced many hotels for chicago in October. YIKES!We want to stay on N. Michigan Ave. and have considered the Courtyard BUT for $20 more we could stay at the Sofitel. We have stayed at the Courtyard but thought we'd try something different. Has anyone stayed at the Sofitel with teenagers?
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I have not stayed there with teens but the Sofitel is a new, beautiful hotel and for $20 I would definately pick it over the Courtyard.
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM

I don't know what kind of rates you are looking at, but you might want to check out Homewood Suites on Grant Ave. It's a block from the subway and just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue. They are all-suites, so there is a separate bedroom from the sitting room with sofabed and there's 2 TV's (good for teens who like to stay up late). They also have full kitchens and a complimentary hot buffet breakfast. Also, on Mon - Thurs, they offer a light dinner (which was a full dinner for us) at no extra charge. We ended up only having to buy lunch each day.
We went there with our teens and they really liked it.
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

thanks for response but it is booked for that weekend.
Sep 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM

The Homewood Suites is on Grand Avenue.

You may also try the Embassy Suites. There are 2 locations within 2 blocks of Michigan Avenue. Both have pools and include breakfast with the room.

You don't say what dates you're looking at, but there are a number of large events in October.

The Chicago Marathon is October 7. The weekend of October 13 is a health club owners' convention, marketing and merchandising expos and hospital association conference with a total attendance around 24,000 people.

The following week, the Food and Beverage Expo, Stylemax and the Shopping Center Council Meeting will bring another 40,000 people into town.

If you select one of the suite hotels and want to stock up on snacks or soft drinks to save a couple dollars, there is a Jewel grocery store on State and Grand, close to Homewood and the ES on State and a Dominick's near the ES-Lakeshore.
Sep 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info on what's going those weekends in October....no wonder rooms are sky high!! I'm coming into town for a few days with my daughter to look at a college and my gosh, rooms are expensive. We have stayed in other big cities but to pay $300 plus for places like Hampton Inn, etc-wow! I guess it's those conventions.
Sep 27th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

We are looking at Oct 25-26. I was hoping the exburant costs were because the Cubs were going to be in the WS during that time!!!!!!!Thanks for the info. What about the Talbott?
It is somewhat reasonable but is it off the beaten path?
Sep 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
JJ5

I'm pretty sure someone did a good review of the Sofitel on Fodors not very long ago. Do a search on the search feature Chicago hotel Sofitel or sub the last word with any other hotel name, and you will get detail answers galore, and some will be very recent.

Fall is fabulous in Chicago. And I don't think there are any weekends that are not busy until Christmas. January is always much cheaper on the winterdelights program.

I stay downtown several times a year and always do hotwire or priceline and never pay those hotel prices, and if more than 6 weeks out from the date, it doesn't matter who is in town.

Have a great time and I hope the weather stays this nice. It has been a sublime fall with just a few short-lived, narrow but mighty storms. The light seems golden.
Sep 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM

The Talbott is a great hotel and located just a block and 1/2 off Michigan Ave. right by the John Hancock. We always stay at the Talbott.

Curious
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I read reviews on the Talbott and it sounded interesting except currently there is alot of construction going on next to the hotel which is causing some to say come stay at a later date. Can you tell me why you stay there and do you stay with any kids?