COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best hotel near Fisherman's Wharf?

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Best hotel near Fisherman's Wharf?

Hi going to SF for 5 nights June 20th. Will be with my 17 year old dtr who loves trendy,nice hotels. Is there a particular hotel with great service, etc., that you'd recommend to us? Right now we have reservations at the Sheraton right at Fishermans, but I hear there's a Hyatt there too. Which is nicer? And then there's Campton Place...but not sure how close it is to Fishermans and I've heard the 4 Seasons is the nicest? Any ideas? We are there to see colleges (SFU and St. Mary's College of California in Moraga,CA that following Monday and Tuesday,so we have the weekend to do things in SF...) Much appreciated!
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:58 AM

There are no hotels in the Fisherman's Wharf area which would qualify as being among the top 15-20 hotels in SF. (I don't know if that's what you meant by 'nice', as in luxurious). The FW area is pretty touristy and I'm not sure it could support a luxury hotel.
The Clift definitely qualifies as trendy, dripping with hipness. The city's best hotels are not particularly trendy. The Ritz is in an old bank/federal building and rooms are the typical Ritz green/cream and gray marble patterns, the Four Seasons is a glass/steel high rise which is actually not very attractive on the outside (but rooms are wonderful and there's a 100,000 sq ft fitness center inside), the Mandarin ahs the best views as it's atop the 3rd tallest building in SF (another generic high rise, oriental-lite decor in rooms), Campton Place is unique and has more old world charm.
If your daughter wants trendy you could also look into the W, just a couple blocks south of Market Street. Also oozes hipness in a modern package.
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:18 AM

You probly will not want to stay at The Palace Hotel.But IMHO, it has one of the most fabulous Sunday Brunches on the planet.Well worth the moolah.Check it out...
http://www.gardencourt-restaurant.com/brunchmenu.html
HTH
S
Old May 12th, 2003, 10:28 AM

We've stayed at the Marriot and the Sheraton at FW. The Sheraton was fine, but the Marriot was nicer - better beds, pillows, linens, service, decor. I've compared notes with friends who have stayed at the Hyatt and they Hyatt seemed to be nicer than the Sheraton or the Marriot. I wouldn't catagorize any of these as trendy hotels though. They are large chains designed to accomodate tourists.
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM
mjs

I agree with gplimpton. These upscale hotels will however cost 2 to 3 times more than the Sheraton.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Check out the Tuscan Inn on FW. It probably wouldn't rate at trendy but it has more atmosphere than a Sheraton. We enjoyed the decor and ambiance.

Mark
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:37 PM
SAB

Sorry, trendy and the wharf just do not go hand in hand. Am I correct that you have already decided against the Triton? I have friends from NYC who just love it.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:43 AM

I would second the W!!!!