Reload this Page >

Best Hotel closest to SFO Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Jessica

Just going for night over lay over any ideas on where to stay would like to be as close as possible? I know there is a Hyatt Regency but did not see the selection I anticipated

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:50 AM
Mike

There is a nice Marriott near by as well. Most have shuttles to and from the airport. The airport is a ways out from any of the fun stuff so you probably won't go anywhere from the hotel without a car.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:05 AM
Jessica

Hi Mike is the Marriot closer or better in any way? If we decide to take an earlier flight do you think we could much if we made it into town at 2pm? We have an 8 going on 9 year old going with us.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:14 AM
Suzie

Jessica, SFO is in/near Burlingame which is quite a bit south of San Francisco. There are lots of hotel in the area and they provide free shuttle to the airport. You can check out the Embassy Suites, Westin, or Park Plaza Hotel if you were thinking about the Hyatt. These are all about 15 miles south of downtown SF.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
SJK

Jessica -
I stayed at Comfort Inn (in Millbrae - about 15 miles south of SF). I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this place was as it was a about $60 for the night. It did have an airport shuttle although the front desk people were a little clueless.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:20 AM
kam

Never stayed at any of them, but have attended various functions at some of the SFO hotels. There's a Hyatt Regency, Ramada, Red Roof Inn, Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, Vagabond Inn, Best Western, Quality Suites,Travelodge. They would be listed in Millbrae, Burlingame, or South San Francisco. The Hyatt and the Marriott are the two better hotels IMO. Don't understand the other part of your question. From SFO to the city will take 30-45 minutes by taxi depending on time of day. The little town of Burlingame is close by and nice to walk around in for a couple hours. You could take a taxi there easily. A nice place for dinner (Italian) which would be fine for your child as well is Kuleto's Trattoria near the 101 at the Burlingame exit. It's related to all the other Pat Kuleto places in SF.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:20 AM
x

Westin is the nicest of the group and probably the closest!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:22 AM
Owen O'Neill

I was just checking www.biddingfortravel.com recently to review winning Priceline bids for downtown SF hotels. I noticed that people are getting great prices for good hotels near the aiport (like $35 per night). There is also a section on that website with hotel reviews and there are some comments from travelers re/various hotel aiports including the Hyatt (which got excellent reviews).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
Jessica

I was also wondering if you think a flight getting us in at 1pm would afford enough time to see any of San Francisco. We will be traveling with an 8 year old girl. Not sure if one of the double deckers would work for us after a 5 hour flight but would anyone recommend? Any other tour type suggestions would be helpful. Mother and daughter might be on their own for a while. Mom never explored a large city on her own before.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Jessica

Thanks everyone I post on this forum regularly I forgot how nice it is when someone answers your question. THANKS!!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
kam

Yes, x, the Westin. I forgot it and that would be a good recommendation. Jessica, arriving at 1 pm you should have plenty of time to get up to the city and look around for a while. If you are hesitant about exploring on your own, take one of the half day tours from Greyline that start at Powell and Market. Or, if you wanted, you and your daughter could easily and safely explore Pier 39, Ghiardelli (for a fantastic hot fudge sundae at the chocolate factory, the Cannery (there's a Basic Brown Bears store there) and take a ferry tour of the bay from Fisherman's Wharf. I would stay in the city for an early dinner rather than fighting the rush hour traffic back to SFO. You'll find that you won't be as tired as you might think since you'll gain time and sunshine. Enjoy your brief visit.