Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best hotel chain for families? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-hotel-chain-for-families-493419/)

snowrooster Jan 7th, 2005 09:41 AM

Best hotel chain for families?

I know Embassy Suites is popular, but I prefer two actual bedrooms w/beds rather than a sofabed. We like Residence Inn but I was wondering if there are any other major hotels that offer 2 bedroom suites? I'd love to have more options! Thanks!!

Suzie Jan 7th, 2005 10:03 AM

LOL snowrooster, when I saw your post title I clicked on to report our fave is Embassy Suites but I see you want more.

snowrooster Jan 7th, 2005 10:05 AM

I read somewhere that some Embassy Suites have 2 bedrooms? Is that true or are they still just one bedroom and one living room w/sofabed? I haven't stayed in one for a while but I did always like their breakfasts!

ajcolorado Jan 7th, 2005 10:11 AM

We stayed in a fantastic Best Western Richmond Suites in Shreveport, LA that had two rooms. We were in a Best Western hotel in Kansas that offered a family suite with two rooms.

TxTravelPro Jan 7th, 2005 10:20 AM

This is almost impossible to answer. Many hotels offer large suites, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, etc...
For example, we booked 2 separate suites connected by a meeting room with kitchen at the ES La Jolla. You have to call to get it.
I am about to stay at a Homewood Suites in Alexandria that has a 2 bedroom apt, which also is not listed.
If you have the budget you don't have to stay within any specific chain as many hotels can accomodate your request.
I prefer Embassy Suites in many locations, Hawthorn Suites in others. I really like the special request, unlisted rooms though. Since they come at a premium they are usually nice.

GoTravel Jan 7th, 2005 11:54 AM

Is there a particular city or just in general?

snowrooster Jan 7th, 2005 12:04 PM

The question is in general, but I'm currently looking specifically for a Chicago trip. Just wondering if there are any other hotel chains that I'm not aware of that offer 2 bedroom + living area suites at a moderate price. So far Residence Inn is the only one I've found that has this option at all of their locations.

reidsmom Jan 7th, 2005 12:23 PM

Homewood Suites by Hilton is residential in design like Residence Inn. The chain has won the J.D. Powers Award for consumer satisfaction several years in a row. They do have a property in downtown Chicago - right across from Nordstrom. There's also one in Schaumburg. It's a sister chain of Embassy Suites.

TxTravelPro Jan 7th, 2005 12:32 PM

Call the hotels and ask for a 2 bedroom... call any hotel you like and ask if they have a suite. Many do...

JJ5 Jan 7th, 2005 12:36 PM

Snowrooster, check out Tinley Park. It's on Rt.80 and you access Chicago on that expressway East and then connect into the Dan Ryan/ other Chicago expressways. Neighborhood is nice and there are numerous choices as you prefer right off the I-80 & Harlem Ave. Do a location search of that zip (60477) and you may find these bedroom suite set ups just as you wish for less $$. And they are all beautiful and brand new. Most are under 2 years. There is a Hilton, Convention Center and several good restaurants in the area. The ride in to Chicago downtown is at least 45 minutes at a good time.

JJ5 Jan 7th, 2005 12:41 PM

Baymont Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn, Wingate are the three new Tinley Park choices. First may have what you are looking for.

lovingheart Jan 7th, 2005 02:55 PM

If there is a Homewood Suites at your destination, you should give it a try. We stayed at the Chicago property for a week, and were very pleased.

traveltex03 Jan 9th, 2005 12:02 PM

I stayed at the Homewood Suites downtown not too long ago and was quite pleased. I find Homewood usually to be a bit nicer than Residence Inns, but both hotels are comparable. One nice thing about the two BEDROOM suite is the extra bathroom which gives families even more space than usual. I assume they offer 2-baths in all 2-bedroom suites. You also mught want to try a Staybridge Suites (if there's one in the area) which are also comparable to Homewood.