Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orelans upscale hotel recs needed - near the Marriot

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friends are travelling to NO for a convention that is taking place at the Marriot, but the Marriot is sold out. Are there any nice accomodations around the area in which the Marriot is located? Is the W or the Ritz close by?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Kal

International House?
Monaco?
Astor?
Wyndham Canal?

All w/in walking distance.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I enjoyed the St. James which is an upscale boutique hotel a couple blocks walk from canal and the Marriott on Magazine.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM
hsv

Which Marriott?
If the New Orleans Marriott on Canal is the one you're talking about, there is a very nice JW Marriott (formerly the Le Meridien) just across the street from it. Nice hotel (a bit more personal than the other Marriott) and a great location IMO.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:29 PM

The Ritz is a couple of blocks from there - but it isn;t one of their better efforts. Nothing really wrong with it - but nothing special - but still way better than that dreary Marriott.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I don't know which Marriot - I am assuming the "regular" one (not JW) on Canal Street.

If you were to pick - what are the top 5 hotels in NO?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
hsv

jamierin,

answering this question properly would imply having stayed at various properties there. I haven't but will try to at least comment a bit:

The Windsor Court appears to be the top- ranked hotel in N.O. It regularly appears in hotel rankings, not limited to N.O. but rather the U.S. and about two years ago I seem to recall it being listed in one of those dubious "best hotels in the world" lists, although published by a reputable magazine.
The Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter usually gets good reviews - you'd be right in the middle of the action there (I guess with all the consequences, though).
The Ritz Carlton is housed in what I believe is a former department store. It is a Ritz Carlton, for what it's worth, but people tend to comment that it isn't exactly one of the better hotels of that chain.
Personally, if the alternative were the N.O. Marriott, I'd jump on the JW, if it's available and not too expensive. It's located on Canal and just a five minutes max. stroll away from Bourbon St. and a 10 min. stroll from the river, so you'd be located close to basically everything. It is not a boutique hotel, though, and might be a bit generic, if you catch my drift, but it is only about half the size of the N.O. Marriott.