Best flightseeing, heli ride, dogsledding in SE Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in SE Alaska for the start of September. We are staying in Anchorage (2 nights), Seward (4), Juneau (3), Sitka (3), Petersburg (2), and Ketchikan (2 nights)
I have read the advertising and realise there are lots of choices. I would really appreciate any recommendations from experienced fodorites
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I have traveled by ferry ship to Juneau, Sitka, Petersburg, and Ketchikan. I assume you will be traveling on a cruise ship. If not, let us know. The best heli ride might be in Juneau to see the nearby Mendenhall glacier but you can also take a bus there (about 10 miles) and experience it from the ground. The other three places would not have anything interesting to see from the air.

The scenery by ship is spectacular. The route to Sitka is like boating up the Amazon. More twists and tight turns than a bowl of spagetti lasting about ten hours. Go to the old Russian church there. Sitka was the Russian capital of Alaska. Petersburg is just a bit too flat for a few reasons. Don't go to the "International (fake) lumberjack championship" in Ket. There is a state park with an authentic lodge and "totem poles" a few minutes away. Go to the AK state museum in Juneau. When it is raining don't complain about it. The locals can't stand tourists complaining about the rain.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jorr. We are travelling by ferry and not by cruise ship! And very much looking forward to that part of the trip.Other reports indicate that the Float plane to Misty Fjords is excellent. As this is out of ketchikan we are wondering whether to take this or the Kayakingto Orca Cove with Southeast Sea Kayaks.
Is the heli ride you are referring to the Helicopter and Glacier tour with Coastal Helicopters?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 03:54 AM

May I ask why are you staying for four nghts in Seward? I think I would stay two nights in Seward and two nights in Homer
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We took a flightseeing trip that actually flew through the glaciers. At times we would look out and there would be a glacier rising on each side of the plane. It was choreographed to music and was totally awesome. Some of us just couldn't help crying from the beauty of it all. We were on a cruise and booked through the cruise line, so I can't help you with where to book it. I believe we took it when the ship was in Haines.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Mama we are staying for four nights because I believed, from my reading, that there would be plenty to do there. We are travelling to Seward by rail and back to Anchorage by coach to catch our flight to Juneau.
It is really difficult deciding on an itinerary as first time visitors. We are hoping that this one works for us. I have booked 4 nights at Ballaine House. Also we tried to cut down on the number of moves we need to make.
Do you think that a day trip (if it's possible) from seward is worthwhile?
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:07 AM

Macca, I think a recent Seward trip report made staying four days in Seward sound great. I think a lot of us have a tendency to rush from place to place and miss a lot. I liked Homer a lot because of the Pratt Museum, craft galleries, etc. so I would recommend Homer but we didn't spend much time in Seward and missed Exit Glacier and the slide show about the earthquake. Also we didn't spend the extra time at the Sea Life Center to do the behind the scenes tour. I would be tempted, however, to add another day to Anchorage and do a day trip to Palmer/Independence Mine and the Alaska State Fair if the timing is right. We loved the mine but we haven't been to the State Fair.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

I am so happy you are traveling via the Alaska Marine Highway ferries. It is much more of an Alaska experience than on a cruise ship. It forces you to get out and about in the real world. Don't get off in Wrangle. The Dairy Queen and drunks in the bar next door really are not much to see although the hardware store where I bought a sleeping bag linner was a hoot. I can not tell you the details of the Juneau heli and plane rides because I did it on foot. I saw lots of Salmon in streams only a foot deep.

Make sure your trip to Sitka is in the daytime. The trip out of Sitka is at night because of the current caused by tides. I can't figure out how they got that ferry ship through those tight curves in rushing water at night with heavy fog. It was like something out of a spooky movie. We spent about 20 hours sailing in and out of Sitka. You would swear you are on some bizzare river.

If you get bored in Juneau I challenge you to find the state capital building. I walked right by the front doors one day and didn't know it was the capital building until the next day. Diffinately the most odd state capital setting I have ever seen.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM

We just returned this morning from an Alaskan Cruise.

We did flightseeing in Ketchikan with Michelle at Island Wings through Misty Fjords - it was incredible!! She landed in a lake in the Fjords and got out to walk around....(I guess the cruise ship tours don't do a landing or if they do you can't get out).

In Skagway we used Temsco helicopters to do a glacier/dog sled tour. The views were amazing - I felt like I was on another planet. They landed at the dog sled camp where we went dog sledding for about 3 miles - equally incredible!!!

Both of these were recommended by this site.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:10 PM

In Seward,we were very pleased with Mitch Seavey's Iditerod sled dog excursion. The Sea Life Center in Seward is wonderful. I think it might be a very pleasant thing just to relax and enjoy Seward. It's a beautiful spot. Our favorite excursion was in Juneau with Coastal helicopters.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:38 AM
jq

4 days in Seward is a little long but you will find something to do. I hope you plan to take a Kenai Fjords Tour, at least 6hrs or 9.5 hr NW Fjord tour. These are highlight of area. Exit Glacier is a nice short hike and visit. May see wildlife up on mtns. Seavey Family Ididarod is nice tour, ride in wheeled sled, visit to kennel, see the puppies and racing gear. Sea Life Aquarium is supposed to be nice, but we didn't go there because we only had two days!!!! Homer is really too far for a day trip. It is at least 3hrs plus to drive each way, probably longer for someone for first time sightseeing. Kayaking and fishing are also big in Seward. Sitka has lots of things to see and you can walk around or take the all day trolley to go anywhere. The national park is worth some time, as well as the raptor center, looking for eagles down by the canneries, and the museum in town. The russian dancers show and the native dancing shows are both pretty good.
As for Ketchikan, Michelle with Island Wings is our first choice for Misty Fjords or bear viewing trip. Southeast
Aviation and Carlin Air are also good.
I hope you are getting a toursaver coupon book for your trip. Check out their site and see if it is worthwhile for what you plan to do. We used for two flts and saved over $360.