Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Flight Site (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-flight-site-504726/)

damion Feb 17th, 2005 09:58 AM

Best Flight Site

With the increasing number of sites gathering flight deals, which is best at finding the best price? I'm used to the standards (Travelocity, Expedia), but know of newcomers (Sidestep, Kayak) that I've heard good things about. Or are they all the same? I have a number fo domestic flights coming up, but am also curious about international travel.

On a sidenote: I want to plug a free service my buddy launched - flight status via text messaging. more at 4info.net.

rapunzll Feb 17th, 2005 10:12 AM

When I booked my flight to Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, I checked out Kayak and Travelocity and could not find a decent flight schedule. I finally checked out NWA site and got a perfect schedule that hadn't even shown up on the other two.

Hofstra Feb 17th, 2005 10:13 AM

Mobissimo.com is the best IMO for flight deals.

GoTravel Feb 17th, 2005 11:21 AM

www.itasoftware.com to find the flight then go to another site to book because you cannot book with itasoftware.com.

Sarah Feb 17th, 2005 11:21 AM

This is something that is always changing and the airlines want it like that. I thought travelocity use to be owned by the airlines. Expedia has never had the best rate for anything I needed, same with travelocity. I think both sights only do well with people that don't desire rock bottom prices. Also Orbitz gives me the best rates but hey they are owned by the airlines too.

www.smarterliving.com for weekly specials from airlines.

Bottom line you need to keep an eye on rates yourself. Always check your price against what the airline is offering. Get on a weekly email from your airline and destination of desire. It will clue you into deal times of the year.These sale periods are always changing. Sometimes they want to offer the best price through discount agency other times and frequently they want it to come directly from their website.

NYTimes just did a piece on this in their travel section on Sunday (2 weeks ago). They focused on Foreign sights though. I did not find a helpful deal on anything they suggested. I visited most sights. For the moment I think the deals are at Orbitz. Prove me wrong. It was much better when there were bucket shops in NYC and London.

Crying about this

Sarah

happymz Feb 17th, 2005 12:29 PM

I'm a big fan of sidestep.com - consistently finds me the lowest fares, because it also searches consolidators and low budget airlines (e.g. jetblue) that don't usually show up on the standard travelocity/expedia/orbitz. Am starting to explore mobissimo too.

FainaAgain Feb 17th, 2005 12:56 PM

Somebody registered just to ask a broad question and on a sidenote to promote a business? TROLL!?!?!?

repete Feb 17th, 2005 01:16 PM

I link itasoftware as well, with Sidestep running on the side.

One problem I had with Sidestep was with a couple of flights on Alitalia, it sent me to OneTravel, where the prices were slightly higher than the airline site.

On itasoftware, the full month's fare feature is a handy tool.