Best drive from San Diego to Palm Springs

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 10:04 AM
thor

Best drive from San Diego to Palm Springs

I read on this site that the fastest way to get from San Diego to Palm Springs is on the freeways via Riverside. What is the most interesting way to get there; East from Temecula? Are there snow problems on the way on the alternate routes if travelling in December?.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Gary

thor:

The second-fastest way is, of course, along the coast, which, debatably, is more scenic than the inland freeway route. However, driving north is less interesting, since half of the freeway would be between the driver and the ocean. Besides, that route has so much fast-moving traffic, concentration is imperative.

Actually, I like the inland route better. Depending on the weather, the desert--and the mountains nearer San Diego--can be beautiful this time of year. Plus, it's more likely to be sunny on a given day.

Snow generally won't be a problem on any inland detour. For one thing, we haven't much rain the last few years, including during December; plus, the snow level rarely drops below 8,000 feet at any time except during big storms, which generally occur in January. Even then, one can always just turn around and go back down the mountain.

One place of interest might be Palomar Mountain, southeast of Temecula. The BIG telescope is up there, along with a few smaller ones. It's a pretty drive getting up there, and there a few interesting displays inside the buildings. One gets there by taking state route 76 east from the I-15. There are some small signs pointing the way.

After that, rather than backtrack to the I-15, there are alternate roads to Palm Springs. Maybe follow route 78 over to the Salton Sea, then north. There's a lot of agriculture between I-15 and the Salton Sea--orchards, vineyards and such. Or, work your way up to the 74 for a shorter overall drive. Again, snow not a factor.

Actually, it sounds like a good idea. But you'll miss the vineyards in Temecula, if that matters. Have fun.