Best district for foodie in Portland, OR?

Sep 14th, 2015, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Best district for foodie in Portland, OR?

It's my first time to Portland and I'm eager for a taste of locavore offerings, casual to mid to high end, as well as food truck pods. Friends recommend Inn at Northrup (Alphabet City?), right on public transportation, but it's booked. We will have a car but if a neighborhood is within walking distance of a variety of good places, all the better.

Time in Portland will only be about 2.5 days and some of that will be spent outside the city at Fort Clatsop.

Any insights on what district is most convenient to lots of locavore choices on foot, by public transportation or by short car ride would be much appreciated.
Sep 14th, 2015, 07:13 AM
mms

Downtown Portland is really compact. The NW area (aka Alphabet District) is easily walkable to the heart of downtown/The Pearl district. Or you could take the streetcar if you don't feel like walking. Look for something around downtown or the Pearl. Even though we live here, we like the Monaco for when we stay over for special events. There are quite a few hotels, so it will just depend on your budget, style, etc.
Sep 14th, 2015, 09:01 AM

Check the Travel Portland website. Many hotel recommendations and you can talk to a real person who will you make a choice.

There is a foot cart tour you could try and also a Epicurian Walking Tour in which you will try a variety of local foods and beverages and get a bit of Portland history. Well worth the time!
Sep 14th, 2015, 01:14 PM

If you have a sweet tooth try VooDoo donuts.
Ablout 2 blocks south of Powell's Books is Kenny & Zukes Deli. http://www.kennyandzukes.com/
Kenny & Zukes is across the street from a very pricey hotel (Mark Hopkins).
The TriMet system is very good IMO. The end of the red line (light rail) is right outside the baggage claim at PDX if you don't want to hire a taxi.
Sep 14th, 2015, 05:08 PM

Portland is a great city for walking or streetcar. I stayed in the Pearl twice and it has nice places, but is also close to anything really. Don't ask me specifics - I'm not the foodie! But I know my husband and daughter like Tasty and Alder on SW 12 th avenue.
Sep 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM

There are good restaurants in every neighborhood. Seriously. You can't go wrong. If you can stay close in to the river on either side getting around should be pretty easy.

We love Toro bravo for some nice tapas, Montage for some jambalaya and oyster shooters, and Bridgeport and 10 barrel are breweries with really great food as well. And so many more restaurants I can't think of right now. Yum.
Sep 16th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the tips. Stay close in, hard to go wrong w food. Toro Bravo was also just mentioned by my Inn at Northrup friends. Portland is looking good!
Sep 17th, 2015, 12:18 PM

SE Division Street has some of the best up and coming places.

http://www.travelportland.com/articl...linton-dining/

Pok Pok was featured on the Food TV Network.