Best Dates/Itinerary for Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm treating my very active mom and 3 relatives (ages 68 to 78) on a fall foliage trip in October 2004. We want to spend 7 or 8 days driving the Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive plus 2 or 3 days in Washington D.C. to see the new WWII Memorial. My questions are:
1. What is the BEST time span in October for peak colors?
2. In order to hit each area's peak color, should we start in D.C. and work our way South or start in The Great Smoky Mountains and work our way North?
3. In the Great Smoky Mountains, I'm looking at staying in one of the homes located in Chalet Village, called Blue Yonder. Anyone stayed there?
4. Any recommendations for other great places to spend 2 or so nights along the BR Parkway or Skyline Drive? They must be clean and have a GREAT view from the rooms.
5. Any suggestions for side trips? Don't let their ages fool you. They did easy to moderate walks/hikes for 10 days in the Canadian Rockies on our last trip!
I APPRECIATE ALL INFO!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Another side trip, if you will be near the GSM Nat'l Park is the Cherohala Skyway located just past Robbinsville. The skyway runs into TN. There are awesome unobstructed views the whole ride with many pull-offs to stop or have a picnic lunch. This road is seldom crowded, and some people call it a "mini" blue ridge hwy. Also, right before the Skyway, there is Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, a virgin forest which has never been logged with very, very huge trees, etc. There is a figure 8 trail which takes you through the forest.

Here are links to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest and Cherohala Skyway.

http://www.main.nc.us/graham/hiking/joycekil.html

http://www.monroecounty.com/sky.html

If you have an interest in some beautiful waterfalls, check out this link for waterfalls in the Franklin, NC area:

http://www.franklin-chamber.com/waterfalls.html

Have a great trip!

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Peak fall foliage is usually around mid to late October in Va and NC. You should probably start in the north and work your way south, since peak is later in the south. If you are only going for 7 or 8 days, it won't make too much of a difference, though. Start in DC somewhere around the 15th and head through Shenandoah and then south for the rest of the trip.

It is a beautiful drive. Have a great trip!

Karen
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Peak colors are in mid to late October, but that is unpredictable from year to year because so many conditions influence leaf abscission - light, moisture, and perhaps temperture.

There are several places that are interesting to stay. Bluffs Lodge at Doughton Park on the Parkway near Laurel Springs is a good place.
Mt. Pisgah Inn is a premium place and very difficult to book becauses of demand.
I am not sure when these lodges close for the season. The weather is turning cold in late October, and the threat of bad weather begins to increase.

Another good central place is near Blowing Rock NC. I suggest that with several people you rent a house for several days near Blowing Rock.
With 5 of you perhaps 3 bed rooms would do.
We rented a house with another couple and their 2 children for a looong weekend and 3 bedrooms and 3 baths worked out fine for 6 of us.

But some of that depends on who snores.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much! Justmom, we are planning on staying 3 nights in the GSM National Park so your side trips are great ideas! And, yes, I love waterfalls...both looking at and photographing. I've heard there are 12 waterfalls on US 64 between Highlands and Cashiers. I think we need more time!

Kaudrey, thank you for the suggestion of starting in the north. That's what I was thinking, too. Our son's 21st birthday is the 16th, so sounds like we should fly into D.C. on the 17th or 18th.

Are the weekdays less crowded than the weekends on the BR Parkway/Skyline Drive?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I was afraid that was the case. I'd hate to plan and book this whole trip and be too early for fall colors...or do the drive just after the leaves have fallen. I'll just take the suggestion of leaving around October 17th or 18th and hopefully sometime during the 10 days colors will peak somewhere!

Thanks for the suggestions on places to stay. We are renting a house in the GSM National Park for 3 of the nights. Yes...a 4 bedroom because 4 of the 5 snore and I'm not one of them! I'd love to rent a house in the middle or on the northern end of the BR Pkwy. Any suggestions? Again, must be clean and with a VIEW!

Or~ when our son played in a golf tournament, we stayed at The Homestead...WONDERFUL PLACE! From the map, it looks fairly close (1-2 hours) from the BR Parkway. Is it? Any side trips from The Homestead?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Check out Chateau Morrisette. It's a wonderful place for lunch. In October, the views are fabulous.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Carla! Where is Chateau Morrisette? Do they have a website? Do we need reservations?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Peak in the NC mountains is almost always around the 15th of October so the mountains to the north (DC will be past their peak.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Hi Jewelhawg:

I believe the link of waterfalls I listed has them listed in the order you would drive them. Several of the waterfalls are right alongside the road with narrow pulloffs, others have little parking lots, and some others require hiking to get to them. Keep in mind Hwy 64 is very twisting and turning and can be a little scary for some people, since you will be driving through a gorge as well. When I get a chance, I will look at them and let you know which ones we have been to (with older father-in-law who is in shape). Some we have not been to because more hiking is required to reach them, but we do plan to hike to them some day. You can see a good deal of them on a day trip.

If you have any other questions about anything, please feel free to email me. I have quite a bit of info on things to see and do in the NC mountains.

(Justmom, we are planning on staying 3 nights in the GSM National Park so your side trips are great ideas! And, yes, I love waterfalls...both looking at and photographing. I've heard there are 12 waterfalls on US 64 between Highlands and Cashiers. I think we need more time!)
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM
maj

Did you consider stopping at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, N.C.?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Maj, yes, we talked about going to the Biltmore Estate and since you brought it up, sounds like we should see it! Anyone know how far it is from the Chalet Village in the GS Mtns?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Justmom...Yes! Do let me know which waterfalls you've been to. The twisty and turny roads are fine as long as there is enough room for 2 cars...and are they paved?

Juli
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:04 PM

Two of my all time favorites/most spectacular waterfalls are Dry Falls and Cullasaja Falls located on 64 between Highlands and Franklin, (easy access from Franklin to GSMNP). Cullasaja Falls is a roaring, massive fall located just off the road. There is no public parking, only a place for 2-3 cars just off the road, careful!, and only the fit should attempt to walk down, careful!. Just up the road is Dry Falls, a fall you can actually walk behind. This one is easy, public parking and a maintained walk path.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM
maj

We had two books for reference (I'm sure there are more and not sure these are the best--I just picked them up at a bookstore before our trip)--one is Blue Ridge Parkway Guide and the other is Guide to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It says that it is about 87 miles from the Smokey Mountains to Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway. I think Asheville is about 4 miles or so from the Parkway.(if you wanted to stop there, it would be while you are driving the parkway, not while you are staying in GSM).

We started at Cherokee and drove the Parkway to Asheville without side trips, but stopping at all the overlooks,in one day. We also walked to both the falls at Graveyard Fields. The upper falls trail goes through a pasture and we kept thinking we were going the wrong way, but it was worth it when we got there. We went in the Spring though which can make a difference as far how much water any of the falls have. I know we hiked to Rainbow Falls (in GSM) one October and it was just a trickle. We went to the Smokey Mountains for about 10 years straight--almost always in October. It is very crowded--but there is a reason--it is beautiful in the fall! I don't know how crowded the Blue Ridge Parkway is at that time of year. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Hello Jewelhawg,
Two places you might want to consider in Virginia: The National D-Day Memorial in Bedford and the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I admit upfront that I am biased on this first recommendation. I designed the landscape plantings for the D-Day Memorial. However,President Bush came to VA. to dedicate the National D-Day Memorial-- along with other world dignitaries. Visitors, especially those who lived through WW11, find a visit to the Memorial a very moving even spiritual experience. The setting is breathtakingly beautiful... atop a high hill with the majestic Peaks of Otter in the background. If you go be sure to take one of the docent guided tours. It will add greatly to your experience.

The Peaks of Otter Lodge sits on a small lake at the bottom of Sharp Top--one of the two Peaks of Otter. The Lodge is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is a very pretty setting. Plus, the drive down route 43 into Bedford is gorgeous. It's a small road that winds through picturesque Virginia woodlands and farms.
Enjoy your trip!
Another Gretchen (Imagine, to Gretchens answering your question!)
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:38 PM
bonniebroad

Be sure to stop at Chateau Morrissette! It is beyond wonderful! Beautiful place, wonderful wine and food to die for.......... don't miss it!

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Cactushugger...We will definitely go to the National D-Day Memorial! Thank you so much for the suggestion. My uncle, who is traveling with us, is a veteran of WWII (Battle of the Bulge) and that's why we're starting in Washington D.C....to see the new WWII Memorial. I'm so excited! Thank you thank you!

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Bear in mind that between Maggie Valley and Doughton Park in North Carolina near the Va. border, Parkway elevation varies from over 6,000 to about 2,000 feet above sea level. There will be some place within that zone where you can find gorgeous leaves.
If you start at Ashville for example, and ascend toward Mount Mitchell, you will traverse several climatic zones.
I can suggest that weekends will be mobbed, so try to arrive late on Sunday or early Monday, and plan to be out of there by Friday afternoon.

The same is true of the area south of Blowing Rock. Grandfather mountain is private ground, but you can find something there.

I don't think you can time it to perfection unless you live in the immediate area and it happens around you.
And even slightly pre peak or post peak, there is beauty to be found.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM

I agree with Bob Brown. There is no way to perfectly time your leaf peeping. Here in southwest VA. our peak is also usually between mid to late October. Plus driving the parkway you will be going up and down mountains. Elevation also influences color change. You can be sure that you will hit absolute peak somewhere along your route. Again, I second what Bob said. Pre and post peak are also well worth seeing.

One other thought on your stop at the D-Day Memorial. Be sure to have warm clothes at hand. October weather is often just lovely. BUT, because of it's hilltop location the wind can really whip through the Memorial.

I'm so pleased that your uncle will get to see this wonderful tribute to the men of his era. Please thank him for the role he played.
Happy travels!
Gretchen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -