Best crab cakes in Baltimore!?

May 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Best crab cakes in Baltimore!?

I am taking my daughter to MICA in a couple of weeks - I would love to have some great crab cakes. I dont care if it is a little shack or a high end restaurant. I just want some GREAT crab cakes.
Can anyone help with some suggestions. I tried to do a search for nothing came up here.
May 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-baltimore.cfm

Here is a link to a recent thread about them. I would recommend Bertha's in Fells Point
May 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Ah, yes - When I read the title to that - it said Blue Crab so I did not read.
I just read itnow and it gave several options - Thanks!
I can't wait!
YOu can not get good ones in STL!
May 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM

I had steamed crabs at Obryski's just last week and they were great! It's very popular and they do leave you alone to crack the crabs any way you want. They'll bring as many steamed crabs to your table as you wish.

The black peppered seasoning did give me pause as I'm not much for very spicy food, but it didn't bother me at all.
May 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM

I'd recommend either John Stevens in Fells Point or Gertrudes at the BMA (Baltimore Museum of Art). Both have consistently come through with fulfilling my out-of-town guests desire for a "real crab cake" experience, to say nothing of the superb settings at these restaurants. In fact, I just took my parents who are in from Florida to Gertrude's last night for their crab cakes--everyone was happy, and the sculpture garden is gorgeous this time of year.
May 21st, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I am looking forward to the trip and the crab cakes!
May 21st, 2009, 07:40 AM

Here's a "top-10" list for the crab cakes from the food critic of the Baltimore Sun:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...rab_cakes.html

Of the places listed, the most convenient to MICA is Gertrudes at the Baltimore Museum of Art. (You don't need to go to the museum, but it's very nice!)

The only other one that's convenient - Faidley's Seafood in the Lexington Market - is for stand-up eating or take-out only. But the Lexington Market is definitely a cool place to visit when you're in Baltimore.
Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I ate crab cakes at Bertha's in Fells Point. They were very very good! There were 2 large ones with perfect seasoning and were delicious!! I could really almost not finish them because they were so Big,.... but I managed.
I would reccommend them to all!

We also had the best gelato at a place a few doors down. Truly, the best in the US and I have tried a lot!