Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best (cost effective) way from New York to Washington DC for 2-day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I am going to New York for a 3 week holiday in November (I'm from Sydney, Australia), and am predominantly staying with family in Westchester County (Pleasantville to be precise).

I would like to take a 2-day detour to Washington DC to see some of the sites, and was hoping someone could help me with the best way to get there - and I mean the cheapest way
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Have you heard of a website www.newtravelagent.com <http://www.newtravelagent.com>?

This site is really cool... they have cheap fares for airlines, hotels, cars for any destination you may want to travel to... The best part is they save you time that we generally waste researching the internet for good deals, they will do all the research and book the cheapest deals.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Assuming you can get into NYC, there are a number of buses that run between NYC and DC. This site http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/ has links to many of them. They cost approximately $35 rt. I've never taken them but have many friends that use them for weekend trips. It takes about 4.5 - 5 hours, so that is certainly a factor spending 10 of 48 hours on the road, but as far as I know it's the cheapest public transportation.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:25 PM

The Chinatown bus. $35 round trip! There are several companies..google chinatown bus and you can choose based on the schedule and location of terminals. Several college students I know recommended them, saying that the buses are very nice, and the trips fast.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Check the Greyhound.com website too. "The Dog" often matches the Chinatown buses, along with its partner "Peter Pan Buslines" ... I've read here or the "other "F..." website that some PP buses have onboard movies.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Hi
I work for a company that sells tickets for many different Chinatown bus companies online. You can see them all and compare drop-off locations, etc. We also have guided tours on the site but they pack a lot in so don't expect much free time.
Take a look
http://www.GotoBus.com/