Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Best Colorado Roadtrips and Jeep Tour question?

Best Colorado Roadtrips and Jeep Tour question?

Aug 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Best Colorado Roadtrips and Jeep Tour question?

I focused my recent article on summer experiences and now it's mid-August already, but I'd love to hear about your Colorado trips. One of my favorite things was just driving through the beautiful San Juan mountains, but I also really like the Jeep tour I took from Ouray.
http://www.fodors.com/news/story_3473.html

What's your favorite drive in Colorado?

And, which do you prefer, renting a four-wheel-drive vehicle or going with a guide for a jeep tour?
Aug 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM

You did my favorite drive here in CO! As a local, I am fortunate in that I get to many of the things you mentioned on a pretty regular basis.

There are several here: http://www.swcolotravel.org/drives.html

As far as using a guide or going out on your own -- I strongly believe in using a guide for a jeep tour. Guides are experienced in the difficult terrain and know how to navigate the narrow, twisting roads that have sharp and long drop offs. Visitors cannot imagine the difficulties they can easily [and quickly] find themselves faced with, and we read their stories in our local paper.
Even with a Jeep or similar vehicle, it can be daunting and should be left to those who know the routes. You are on vacation, sit back and let someone else do the driving!

Next time you are out this way, let me know. I'll show you the spots that only the locals [and anyone who reads my posts here]know about!

Deb
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Deb, thanks for enthusiasm and helpful thoughts as always!
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM

In their haste to get from Grand Junction to Telluride or Ouray, the vast majority of visitors I think pass up one of the more beautiful drives in southwest Colorado - the Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway. From it's northern terminus near Grand Junction, Colorado State Highway 141's run down to the Dolores River at Gateway, and it's subsequent winding stroll up that river through a beautiful red rock canyon to Uravan, this byway is a unique Colorado experience that far exceeds its alternative (U.S. Hwy 50) in scenic munificence.

Note: It WILL take you longer to get to your resort destination, but if you have the time, it's worth it, even in winter.

Tip: For a picture postcard view of Unaweep Canyon, take Divide Road (which becomes U.S. Forest Service Road 402 once it enters the Uncompahgre National Forest) for a couple miles up toward the Uncompahgre Plateau. Access Divide Road at it's junction with Hwy 141 about 12 miles from the northern terminus of this drive at Whitewater. Take Divide Road for about three miles to the site of an old quarry. This area provides a fine overlook of the canyon heading off into the distance below.

Search this Thread