Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas for a teen boy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-cirque-du-soleil-show-in-vegas-for-a-teen-boy-937289/)

awayfromitall May 31st, 2012 05:01 PM

Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas for a teen boy?

O?
Ka?
Mystere?
Others?

Dukey1 May 31st, 2012 05:10 PM

Does he like Elvis or the Beatles?

luvtravl May 31st, 2012 05:36 PM

I think Ka would be a good choice.

dw732 May 31st, 2012 05:56 PM

Can't go wrong really. If he happens to like the Beatles then LOVE is definitely it. However, I think "O" is the best show in Vegas hands down.

wtm003 May 31st, 2012 06:14 PM

Both of my teen boys really liked "O" but that is the only Cirque show they have seen so I can't compare.

LEANNA May 31st, 2012 07:10 PM

Ka!

mikesmom Jun 1st, 2012 04:15 AM

My son's favorite is "Mystere". He has also seen "O" and "Ka!". "Ka!" is his least favorite.

spirobulldog Jun 1st, 2012 12:36 PM

Teen Boy would like Zumanity if his parents didn't go with him. LOL.

Seriously,
My daughter liked KA and O. Haven't been to the others.

tenthumbs Jun 1st, 2012 01:28 PM

I travelled with friends, and we had one teenaged girl and two teenaged boys. All three liked Ka and Mystere.

SusanCS Jun 2nd, 2012 04:25 AM

I loved O and Mystere...hated Ka!

diann24 Jun 2nd, 2012 08:27 AM

I just saw le Reve, I have seen LOVE and Mystere. I have not seen "O". I think he would like Love out of them all I have seen to compare it is my favorite. If he likes music a lot I would opt for that--if he is a swimmer Le Reve. You know him best---Mystere I believe has the best prices, and it is more like a circus to me. But still very good.

miku Jun 10th, 2012 10:41 AM

I would recommend KA. It has a lot of action in it that I think a teen boy would like. You can also get reasonably priced tickets for it right now. See: http://www.vegashotelspecial.com/shows/15-K%C3%80/

Tomsd Jun 10th, 2012 10:57 AM

LOL Spirodog: Zumanity of course. :)

If he likes action - KA 4 sure. O is a lot the same as Reve or vice versa. Good over water performance.

Mystere may still be as good as any of them and usually is less expensive/has some discounts.

About the only one we haven't seen if the Beatles one - Love? whatever. Heard the songs are great.

Tomsd Jun 10th, 2012 10:58 AM

And all the story lines are fairy-tale - fairly basic - so I don't think it really matters from the plot perspective.

ziggypop Jun 10th, 2012 02:20 PM

A teen boy would certainly like zumanity the best. He would never forget the show.

Tomsd Jun 10th, 2012 05:37 PM

Ahhhh - be advised Zumanity does have nudity and risque scenes.

steve1218 Jun 11th, 2012 07:23 AM

<Ahhhh - be advised Zumanity does have nudity and risque scenes.>

Which is why it would be unforgettable to him.

O is a terrific show.

awayfromitall Jun 11th, 2012 01:17 PM

I think he might actually like Ka better...who knows...but since there were a few negative recommendations for Ka and none for O...decided to go with the latter. And perhaps his dad and I will like O better also. Thanks for all the input.

Tomsd Jun 11th, 2012 01:32 PM

O is my wife's favorite and I thought it was also very good. I just thought a young boy might like the action more in KA.

And Zumanity has themes that I do not think are really that appropriate for a young boy - and I ain't no prude either. :)

awayfromitall Jul 22nd, 2012 10:33 AM

Having arrived back from Vegas now and seen O, I wanted to add my review of it here for others considering seeing the show. I know there are all kinds of tastes and so wanted to give my opinion based on the type of stuff I like so others might be able to decide where their tastes lie. If you like things like ballet, opera, and synchronized swimming, you will probably like O.

I absolutely hated the show. It was the first Cirque du Soleil I've ever seen so perhaps didn't know what to expect. Perhaps naively, due to the price of the tickets, I didn't realize it was an amalgam of circus acts...fire twirlers, contortionists, synchronized swimmers, clown act a la 3 Stooges, etc. The acts, props, characters seemed all totally random. There was no theme or continuity. The music was all instrumental or operatic. I felt like I was watching America's Got Talent or The Gong Show.

Note that on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 1...but my son did enjoy it somewhat more. He'd probably give it a 5.