Best bus sightseeing tour in Los Angeles

Sep 8th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Best bus sightseeing tour in Los Angeles

Looking for the best sightseeing tour in LA. Not excessively expensive per person. Hits all the highlights for first time visitor. Thanks.
Sep 8th, 2019, 01:17 PM

There have been 590 "views" of this thread - but no replies. I was curious to discover someone who would recommend a bus tour of LA "highlights" and see what they said.

I lived in LA for the first 28 years of my life, and the highlights are vast but far apart. And many of them are not "drive-bys". I'm sure some tourist trap tour would take someone to Grauman's Chinese theater, where "stars" lived, Hollywood & Vine, Sunset Strip, etc. But those places are quite boring, IMO.

The places I like to visit or remembered visiting them when I lived there, need to be visited on foot. The amusement parks, Universal studio tours, Old Pasadena, Museums, etc. See this thread for things to do & see around Pasadena.
12 day california coast itinerary: are we overdoing it?

Stu Dudley
Sep 8th, 2019, 02:23 PM

I would look at the TA and/or Viator lists and choose from those options.
I actually was looking for tour options for a one day or partial day tour for a recent trip. IMO the best part of taking such a tour would be someone else driving (and parking) and dealing with traffic. I've been going to LA for work since the mid-80s and I've driven in LA for work when needed. But I hate it.I hate it a lot. I decided to fly out and use my "extra" day elsewhere (hundreds of miles away). I think most of the bus tours are fairly comparable so my choice was going to be based on pick up location. I've visited friends through the years and have visited different areas of the city and like to have them drive me around to see the places they enjoy. I have friends who currently live there, like in many cities, they don't do cross-city driving unless they absolutely have to. So pick a tour that goes to the places you want to see, read reviews, look at the number of stars in the reviews and then go and enjoy.
Sep 8th, 2019, 03:15 PM

I can’t think of any hop on hop off bus tours, like you find in compact cities, like London.
Sep 8th, 2019, 03:31 PM

The problem is there is no tour that will cover all the highlights in one day. The LA basin/Metropolitan Area covers nearly 5,000 square miles -- yes 5,000. Just picking 6 sites at random that many tourists would want to visit: Griffith Park, Hollywood & Highland, the Farmers Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Santa Monica and the Getty Museum -- that would be a 2 to 3 hour drive depending on traffic not including any stops/visits. And those 6 sites are in just one little slice through the middle of LA and not all that far from each other as the crow flies.

So you need to decide WHICH sites are your musts and then search for a tour that might include them.
Sep 8th, 2019, 03:44 PM

janis is right, LA is too big for any tour to hit all the highlights.
As far as tours, Starline is probably the oldest and well known and gets good reviews. They have many tours to various places including the original celebrity homes tour as well as a tour to Malibu. There is another company that is called "A Day in LA" which gets good reviews over on the TripAdvisor forums.
I would not try to use the HoHo if your time is limited, it takes too long since LA is so spread out.
Sep 8th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Quite popular in recent years has been the hop on hop off bus. It's a Starline product. Several covering different areas. As I live down the block from one the stops (the Santa Monica loop) I see them go by pretty frequently.

https://www.citysightseeinglosangeles.com/products/hop-on-hop-off-city-tour-72-hour

Or perhaps you want to do tours of the stars homes. Which involves a lot of viewing old, dead, stars homes. This is something I've always wanted to do and planned on doing this summer, but ultimately didn't. So if you find something you like, let us know, and I'll do it!
Sep 8th, 2019, 05:08 PM

How long will you be in LA?

It might be more worthwhile to pick one area each day, and tour inside a celebrity’s home or a museum or a beach area

We recently toured the Will Rogers Ranch House off Sunset Blvd. We’d been to see polo played there, but never toured inside. It’s fascinating. You learn about how life was lived in LA back then.

You could easily visit LACMA, La Brea tarpits, the Miracle Mile of Wilshire, Farmer’s Market, and the Grove in one day. Lots of choices for food there.

Or go to Malibu, wander the beach and eat oceanside. Like at Pacific Palisades Beach Cafe, Moonshadows, Duke’s, Gladstone’s.