Best Boston Day Trip

May 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Best Boston Day Trip

I am going to Boston with my family this weekend. We want to go on a day trip outside of Boston on Sunday (Memorial weekend Sunday). We were thinking about going to the beach and then to Woodmen's for lobster in Gloucester. However, the forecast looks cold for a beach day. Any suggestions for a good day trip that would also include a casual lobster meal?
May 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM

Well,the water on the North Shore is cold at the best of times, colder than water in the Gulf in January even in August. So what about touring the picturesque and rocky coast (Marblehead to Rockport), then going to Woodman's in Essex (not Gloucester) for their famous fried clams. You can get lobsters lots of places, some of them right on the water, but they are very expensive this year. But fried clams at Woodman's are unique (though they have lobsters too).
May 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

That sounds good, but when you say "tour" the rocky coast, what do you mean? Are you talking about simply driving down it, or is there a good place to get out and walk some of it?
May 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM

A nice day trip would be to go to Salem also.
For the North Shore, drive Rt 128 to Prides Crossing and drive along the shorline into Gloucester. Park along the seawall and see the Fisherman monument. Drive out of Gloucester around by Bass Rocks and on into Rockport. Park (good luck, very crowded) and walk out Rocky Neck. Good place to have lunch (if you didn't have lunch in Gloucester). Drive North out of Rockport to Halibut Point State Park. Great views and sit on the rocks.
Continue in a counterclockwise direction and end up in Essex for Woodmans. There are actually several restaurants there, some of which have better clams (The Clambox, JT Farnums). But still Woodmans is "the show". End up there for dinner. Then take Rt 128 to RT 1 back into Boston.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM

Drive north on Rte 128, exit at Wingersheek Beach exit. Nice flat beach at mouth of Anisquam River, so scenic for boat traffic. Some nice flat rocks to climb on and sit and smell the sea. Beach is nice for walking, although not all that wide. I do not know if you will have to pay to park this early in season.

Get back on Route 128 and head to Rockport for lunch. Walk thru town, head over to Bearskin Neck - a little area of non-chain shops, a few craft/art shops - some with local stuff.

Then head back down Rte 128 to Woodman's for dinner. I know there are other places, but John says it well - Woodmans is "the show".

Combine my suggestions with that of John and you will have a full day, regardless of how cool weather is.
May 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM

Good suggestions thus far. I would just fine tune. Woodman's is on Route 133-access from Route 128. The Clam Box, which is also fabulous for fried clams is in Ipswich; same Route 133 out of Essex. Fun just for a quick lunch. Both Woodmans and the Clam Box are VERY casual. Rocky Neck is in Gloucester. If you drive down Main Street in Gloucester, stop at Virgilios and get a loaf of Italian bread-the best ever.
Should you go to Marblehead-which is a wonderful town-particularly "old Marblehead" antique and specialty stores; have lunch at The Barnicle-great clam chowder-restaurant overlooks the ocean=really picturesque-also casual. If you get to Bearskin Neck in Rockport, don't be turned off by the trinket shops-make sure you visit Robert Lerch photography studio-absolutely fabulous photography. Have fun.
May 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We'll do it.
May 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM

My husband and I lived in Boston for 2 years and enterained many out-of-town guests with day-trips to Maine, Cape Cod and Newport. Even though I personally like other areas better, all guests who visited Newport, RI for the day LOVED the day trip. Beautiful scenery, pretty good restaurants (don't have any specific recommendations), tours of the beautiful mansions, and most fun, a sailboat ride out on the harbor offers a beautiful vantage point to take it all in. Weather late May is very nice from what I remember, as we were there for weekends twice in May. Our visitors were never disappointed with this day-trip. Have fun!
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Woodman's in Essex is a tourist-magnet. Farnham's is TONS better.

Another north shore beach idea is Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-sea. Not a good place to drive to (because of parking), but an easy walk from commuter rail.