Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   best beaches for children in Maine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-beaches-for-children-in-maine-661791/)

greenmtngirl Dec 1st, 2006 07:13 AM

best beaches for children in Maine

We've been to wells and love it but are looking for something different just for variety. Any suggestions for a family with a 5 year old and 3 year old? We live in VT so the ocean is an attraction for us. We also like to ride our bikes. We usually go at the end of June.
Thanks!
Cindy

wyatt92 Dec 1st, 2006 08:15 AM

York Beach is great for kids. There's 2 beaches, Long Sands and Short Sands. Short Sands is more crowded but also has a playground and is within walking distance to shops and restaurants. They'd probably like the Goldenrod where they can watch the salt water taffy being made.

A little further south in Rye Beach, NH is Wallis Sands. It's a state park so it has bathrooms and a snack bar.

carolsc Dec 1st, 2006 09:16 AM

What are you looking for that Wells beach doesn't have? I love Ogunquit and walking the Marginal Way. Ogunquit beach has the mouth of the Ogunquit River coming into it which might be fun for the kids. There are often people flying kites there.
(On another note, the Marginal Way House has rooms as well as efficiencies. And it's a quick walk to the beach.)

zootsi Dec 1st, 2006 10:01 AM

Another very nice beach (especially for kids) is Goose Rocks, which is at the north end of Kennebunkport. However, there is no place to park unless you buy a beach pass. You can bicycle in or stay nearby, or park after 6:00 pm.

thurstonbb Dec 1st, 2006 11:13 AM

I agree, York is a great place with kids of that age. We went many times while young. FYI Wyatt92 - My Uncle was the person who designed Wallis Sands Beach in NH!

djkbooks Dec 1st, 2006 11:14 AM

Wells Beach is wonderful and family lodging is more economical. You can visit Ogunquit (and the Marginal Way) and York Beach from there.

clarkgriswold Dec 1st, 2006 11:30 AM

www.billowhouse.com

bassharborbaby Dec 1st, 2006 11:52 AM

Hello. You may consider Mt. Desert Island and Acadia if your kids are hardy and adventurous. Crashing surf at Sand Beach in the Park and gentle waves at Seal Harbor and Back Beach in Bernard. 'Brisk and invigorating" would be kindest descriptive adjectives for the water temperature - just plain cold works as well. You could bike the Carriage Roads or the fire roads in Seal Cove and Long Pond. Hope this helps.

wyatt92 Dec 1st, 2006 12:43 PM

That's very cool, thurstonbb! I'm from Portsmouth and love the Rye beaches so much.

thurstonbb Dec 1st, 2006 12:56 PM

My uncle died last year in his late 80's but always was so proud of what he did. It really is a tucked away beach treasure!

greenmtngirl Dec 1st, 2006 01:14 PM

WOW! all wonderful suggestions! Thank you so much! It is going to be hard to decide!
Clarkgriswald (great screen name, BTW!) - I just looked at Billow House. It looks really great!

greenmtngirl Dec 2nd, 2006 08:23 AM

HELLO!
I just looked at Goose Rocks Beach,Wallis Sands, MDI, and York. All wonderful suggestions! Thank you again!

tracys2cents Dec 2nd, 2006 09:44 AM

I'll agree on Ocean Park with a 3 & 5 year old & bicycles...great little neighborhood to kick around in, a real old-fashioned beach town feel to it. The lights and ferris-wheel nonsense of Old Orchard Beach is only a couple of miles away but it feels like a world away...and shouldn't be too crowded in late June. The last week of June picks up a bit..so if you can manage the week before you should do it.

There are lots of restaurants in a 5 mile radius and the big city (Portland) is just 22 minutes drive in case you get hit with rainy days for shopping & museums & theatres. Be sure to show the kids the 1000 pound chocolate Moose at Len Libby candies on route 1 !
You've been to Wells...Ocean Park (Billowhouse) area is a lot like the beach there, with old houses right on the beach, but the area immediately surrounding is not as built-up or citified. No traffic to speak of near the hotel, no mini-malls, just biking, walking and stopping into the local soda fountain to unwind. Go now before a bunch of developers infiltrate the area with high-rise condos.

bm Dec 3rd, 2006 01:23 PM

I second (or third?) Goose Rocks. We're from VT and we go there every year. Buy your beach parking pass at the Kennebunkport PD just outside Cape Porpoise. I believe it's $5 per day. Beautiful beach. Bring "water shoes" so you can walk out to and on the rocks at low tide.

bennnie Dec 4th, 2006 06:27 AM

thurstonbb - Your uncle designed a wonderful place - we've enjoyed that beach many many times.

janiekins Dec 6th, 2006 08:04 AM

Definitely Goose Rocks Beach!!!