Best "Beach" Vacation Spots in Florida

Old Jun 7th, 1998, 09:03 PM
JB

Best "Beach" Vacation Spots in Florida

Will be travelling to Florida in July and I'm open for suggestions for the best beaches in Florida. Is Panama City Beach worth a visit? Thanks in advance for any information on beaches you've visited.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 07:50 AM
Tom

Panama City and Destin are deserving on the good press in the last few years. The beaches are powder white and the water is beautiful. I have opted instead for Pensacola/Santa Rosa Island. The beaches and water are equally as beautiful, but the town is older and more deverse than simply a resort town. But if you're looking for a great beach vacation, you can't beat the Panhandle of Fla. in my opinion.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:44 PM
kam

Farther south is Sanibel Island and Captiva Island--a bit of old Florida with a very ecologically concerned population---most of Sanibel is a wildlife preserve and the shelling is the best in the U.S.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 04:45 AM
Don Lewis

I would recommend Sanibel Island for a beach vacation. What a relaxing environment. Sanibel does not have the commercial development that is found in Destin or Ft. Walton. When we were there 3 years ago the only fast food restaraunt was DQ.
I do have to say that if you are looking for white sandy beaches, the panhandle area is fantastic. The beach in Sanibel is not as fine. More shell pieces than fine sand.
The shelling in Sanibel is great. You can sit down next to a pile of shells and pick out the ones you wnat. I don't know who as more fun collecting shells, my wife or my kids. You will not find any (O.K., maybe a few) in Destin.
My family was in Destin last August and had a fun time but we are looking forward to getting back to Sanibel. We leave this Friday for 8 days of doing nothing but beach and pool.

Don

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 04:49 PM
Olga H

My preference is for the west coast of Florida. South of Clearwater is the community of Bel Air Beach - quiet, non-commercial. Continue to Clearwater Beach - lots of action. Further south you'll find Reddington Beach which is tame compared to Treasure Island and St. Petersburg Beach (both south of Reddington). When you cross the causeway, you heading for Sanibel, then Marco Island. They're all great. Each has it's own personality.

When on the west coast, be sure to dig for sand dollars. In chest-high water, dig the heels of your feet into the sand. If you're lucky, you'll strike a hard object - the sand dollar. Soak in solution of bleach and water to whiten.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 06:39 PM
Cheryl Slisz

I've never been to the panhandle, but I can say that
Sanibel/Captiva is absolutely beautiful. VERY natural, pristine, and as original as Florida can be. Great seafood. If you want an extremely laid-back vacation without all the advertising, tourist attractions, etc., this is the best place to go. Have a great vacation!!!

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 01:28 PM
G. LUCKER

THE PAN-HANDLE OF FLA IS BY FAR THE PRETTIEST BEACH IN THE USA - AS FAR AS THE SAND AND WATER THAT IS. THE SAND IS THE WHITEST, MOST POWDERY, THE WATER IS JUST AS PRETTY AS THE CARIBEAN. DESTIN IS CROWDED BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND GRAYTON BEACH FOR A TRULY RELAXING SPOT. IT ALSO IS IN-BETWEEN DESTIN AND PANAMA CITY BUT LESS COMMERCIAL AND YOU REALLY LAY BACK AND ENJOY THE BEACH. TRY ABBOTT REALTY AND THEY CAN PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH RENTAL OF HOMES, CONDOES, HOTELS ETC. I LOVE SANSIBEL ISLAND BUT BELEIVE ME IT IS SO CROWDED IN SUMMER YOU CAN HARDLY ENJOY. THE SHELLING IS GREAT AND THE BEST IN THE US BUT MUCH TOO CROWDED. I WOULD GO ONLY IN FALL AFTER KIDS IN SCHOOL AND THE WINTER CROWD ISN'T THERE YET. REALLY DO NOT CARE FOR PANAMA CITY UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE SINGLE AND LOOKING FOR A LITTLE EXCITEMENT. DESTIN, GRAYTON BEACH ARE DEFINITELY FOR FAMILIES.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 02:07 PM
Melody

If you go near Clearwater, drive to Dunnedin and go to Honeymoon Island and take the ferry over to Captiva Island.-It is a nature preserve and no vehicles or buildings pollute it. The beach is rated nationally as being one of the best and it really is. Don't be surprised to look out and see dolphins swimming by.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:13 PM
sandra

The ferry from Honeymoon Island goes to Caladesi Island. Have not been to the panhandle, but certainly prefer gulf coast to the crowds and comerialism found on the atlntic side (few exceptionc).
If you pick up Frommer's Best Beach Vacations Florida, it will describe all the beaches, and what you can expect from each locale.

Old Jun 24th, 1998, 06:39 PM
Roger

I have been to about 100 beaches around the U.S. To me the panhandle has the best beaches , all things considered.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 11:42 AM
Jan Atkinson

I like Amelia Island. There are white sand beaches and practically NO people! Try this URL for a look at a house we stay at every year! www.amelai-era.com/rent19.htm

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 11:44 AM
Jan Atkinson

I like Amelia Island. There are white sand beaches and practically NO people! Try this URL for a look at a house we stay at every year! www.amelia-era.com/rent19.htm