Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best beach to stay near in LA or San Diego? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-beach-to-stay-near-in-la-or-san-diego-584165/)

lls Jan 22nd, 2006 07:33 PM

Best beach to stay near in LA or San Diego?

We'll be spending six nights this summer in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas. We are a family of five (our three kids are 13, 11, 9) and we will be spending two days doing touristy things in L.A. and two in San Diego.

The other two days we'd like to stay on or VERY near a nice beach in or near either city. Any recommendations? I remember liking Santa Monica (haven't been there in 15 years) and Newport/Balboa. We just want to enjoy the beach (no surfing or anything) and be able to stroll to nearby shops or restaurants. Any recommended hotels and/or beaches to fit our bill? Location in relation to other area attractions is irrelevant -- we want to just plant ourselves in one beach spot for two days and two nights! We're prepared to splurge (but $350 a night is a bit too much -- more like $250 if possible).

Thanks in advance!

lls Jan 23rd, 2006 04:57 AM

topping

amwosu Jan 23rd, 2006 06:09 AM

Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach area is great for strolling on the Strand and shopping in cute little boutiques. There are many moderately priced restaurants in the area also. I stay with friends in the area but you might check out the Beach House on Hermosa at http://www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html

ltt Jan 23rd, 2006 07:11 AM

pacific/mission beach in san diego. great area for kids their age.

hsv Jan 23rd, 2006 08:09 AM

Near San Diego, my beach of choice is in Del Mar.
The one on Coronado is pretty damn good, too, and has the Hotel Del going for it.
You cannot go wrong with either place IMHO - and the good thing is that you would not have to check out of your hotel for sightseeing San Diego as its easily accessible from either.

lls Jan 23rd, 2006 08:36 AM

Thanks! I will check out all these suggestions. I've never spent any time on San Diego's beaches so this advice is greatly appreciated. Any specific hotel suggestions?

tracys2cents Jan 23rd, 2006 09:36 AM

www.surferbeachhotel.com

Or for something halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles,
www.lagunariviera.com

jd Jan 23rd, 2006 09:44 AM

Hyatt Huntington Beach has a nice pool and is across the street from the beach.
The Beach House in Hermosa is great, but the room would be tight with 5 people. There is only 1 king bed, and a pull-out couch.

TahitiTams Jan 23rd, 2006 12:34 PM

Hands down I would stay at the Surf and Sand Resort in Laguna Beach
www.surfandsandresort.com
and the other would be either the Sea Lodge Resort in La Jolla Shores or the LJ Beach & Tennis Club..right on the ocean with a gorgeous beach for Snorkeling,Kayaking and of course Surfing..
www.LJBTC.com
Have Fun!

amwosu Jan 23rd, 2006 01:19 PM

Surf and Sand is a pretty penny. When looking for a room for the summer I found the lowest price for my dates to be $415/room. Maybe it isn't always that pricey?

SandyBrit Jan 23rd, 2006 03:13 PM

lls

San Diego - Pacific Beach
Try Ocean Park Inn, 710 Grand Avenue is located on the beach and includes continental breakfast. Rooms do have minirefrigerators and microwaves. Details at www.oceanparkinn.com
Your children would love this area.

As I have recommended numerous times go look at www.sandiego.org and check out offers on places to stay as well as money saving coupons. You can request a free San Diego visitors planning guide which is most helpful.

Sandy

TahitiTams Jan 23rd, 2006 05:17 PM

HI..
I just want to reply to the other posts...The Surf and Sand Resort can be pricey but I have always scored under $250 a night..Expedia has it for $330 a night at the end of June..
Second..Do not stay at the Ocean Park Inn on Grand avenue in San Diego.. The bums hang out in front of the hotel on the boardwalk and the beach is not that great..too much riff raff in Pacific Beach!
Sea Lodge in La Jolla is the best bang for the buck right on the water..

lls Jan 24th, 2006 06:43 AM

Thanks! We are checking out all suggestions and I'm sure we'll find something just right. It's so great to get opinions from those "in the know"!

lizpz Jan 26th, 2006 05:16 PM

Hi - I live in Santa Monica and would have to agree with hsv. With kids and wanting easy access to the beach, I would wait and get down to San Diego. While SM beach can be beautiful, the only hotels on the beach can be quite pricey and the area (south of SM Pier) sometimes sketchy (homeless, crazies, garbage). Del Mar is lovely as is Coronado. The water is alot warmer down there too! Come visit SM for the shops and restaurants if you have time. As much as I love my city, if I were you, I'd head south for the beach.