Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Beach in California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-beach-in-california-312335/)

TiffanyLynn Apr 30th, 2003 11:50 AM

Best Beach in California

What's the best quiet, beautiful beach in California? We have never been there and are looking for ideas.... :)

J_Correa Apr 30th, 2003 12:10 PM

Wow - that's a subjective question. I'd have to say one of the beaches along the Big Sur Coast.

seemeetoo Apr 30th, 2003 12:20 PM

Zuma Beach, Malibu

cheryldina Apr 30th, 2003 03:07 PM

Depends....
Big Sur is gorgeous, but chilly since it's in Norcal, more scenic than layout all day.
Santa Barbara has great beaches that aren't too crowded. The Montecito area is beautiful.

I'm from Laguna Beach, so I'm partial to this area. There are a lot of beautiful quiet beaches located in the small coves along the Pacific Coast Hwy in this area. (one off Diamond St comes to mind).

Zuma is a nice beach, but very busy. Although there are some other nice beaches in Malibu that are quieter. I don't remember exactly where, but I know they also had some small coves that were more private..you can see them as you drive along the highway.

angeleno Apr 30th, 2003 04:56 PM

there are beautiful beaches overlooked by cliffs near Half Moon Bay. The water is freezing, though, and it's not too often it's hot enough there to lay out. but it's still a lovely, secluded area.

clarkgriswold Apr 30th, 2003 04:59 PM

family or just adults?

You want to swim, or just walk the shore/beach?

SloPugs May 13th, 2003 09:49 AM

My favorite beach is one of the little cove beaches in Laguna Beach. There are a ton of them. If you drive south on Hwy. 1 from Newport Beach you can find a ton of them all the way down the coast past Laguna. Part of the fun for us is just driving down, exploring and picking a spot that looks good to you. What is uncrowded one day could be crowded the next, so I couldn't say for sure which cove to go to. My favorite one varies. Some day there are a bunch of people, other days I'm the only one and I feel like I'm far, far away.

GP May 13th, 2003 12:50 PM

Hi TiffanyLynn

The California coast is almost 1000 miles long. Most people think all of the beaches are like the ones you find in the southern part of the state. I have spent many years exploring the coast from south of San Diego to north of Smith River. The places that really stick out, in my mind are in northern San Luis Obispo county southern big sur, northern Sonoma, southern Mendocino counties. The lost coast of Humboldt county from the Bear River to Shelter Cove is very nice. Some of the beaches in Redwood National Park in Del Norte County are not too shabby either. Some of the things these beaches have in common are lack of people, very natural settings, rocky outcroppings, cold water, rough surf, and not a lot of sun for tanning. Hope this helps. If I told you where my best beach is, my wife would kill me and I still have beaches to explore.

Have Fun
GP

MichelleY May 13th, 2003 07:38 PM

The beach at Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe

malvado May 15th, 2003 10:35 PM

Torrey Pines State Beach in San Diego. As dramatic scenery as Northern California beaches without the freezing water!