Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best area to stay in Manatthan as a single lady (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-area-to-stay-in-manatthan-as-a-single-lady-1658492/)

happydays99 Sep 25th, 2018 10:06 PM

Best area to stay in Manatthan as a single lady

Travelling to NY in mid November for 4 days, what is the best area to stay in, do not want the crazy buzz of Times Square,
also any ideas of a nice hotel, mid range budget.
Thank you :)

lcuy Sep 25th, 2018 10:41 PM

I always felt very happy and safe on the upper west side. Lots to do, many good restaurants, and easy access to the subway.
I haven't stayed in a hotel for about 5 years though, as I was lucky enough to have kids living in the city. Back then, I liked the Beacon, The Lucerne, and On the Ave, but I have no idea if they are still nice or if they're even still there!!

elberko Sep 26th, 2018 06:04 AM

Have you been to NYC before?
Midprice in Manhattan is meaningless, and I suspect you will find mid November is pretty expensive. And then there are the substantial taxes on hotel rooms.

I was really happy here, as a single woman:
https://www.iroquoisny.com

​​Generally, though, I see what is available on booking.com that doesn't make me gasp.
Good luck and have fun.

doug_stallings Sep 26th, 2018 11:24 AM

While "mid-range" isn't meaningless, I think the main issue with mid-November is that it's the beginning of super-high season, which typically begins the weekend before Thanksgiving. If you are coming before that, as long as you plan your arrival after Sunday November 4 (the day of the NY Marathon) and before that weekend before Thanksgiving, you'll have the best chance of finding a reasonably priced hotel room. But it still won't be super-cheap. Expect to pay $250 for a room at minimum (and that's at a very modest hotel). But do check your specific dates.

How can you mitigate costs? Stay in Long Island City, Queens, where you can sometimes find a sub-$200 a night room at one of the hotels convenient to the Queens Plaza subway stations (one to three stops from Midtown). This is an increasingly trendy area for living (still unattractive but safe), but there's still not a lot going on at night.

If you can share your budget, I think the rest may fall in place in terms of recommendations. The UWS is not a bad area, but there are few hotel options beyond those @lcuy recommends. On the Avenue is now the NYLO, and there are a couple of additional chain hotel options.

I'd recommend Murray Hill myself, or perhaps a bit further south along Lexington Avenue in the mid- to upper east 20s. There are a lot of hotels there as well as some good restaurants, and it's a safe area.

Christina Sep 26th, 2018 12:49 PM

midrange is midrange, how could that concept be meaningless. Sure, prices vary by date and time of year, but that moves the scale in general, it seems to me. What is midrange at one time likely will be at another.

Upper West Side is nice, I'd also suggest looking at the Beacon. I also like the Flatiron area, the Henri Wyndam there is about $250 during mid-Nov, it appears, as is the Beacon.
https://www.hotelhenrinyc.com/

The Roger New YOrk near Madison and 31st is quite nice, a friend of mine stays there a lot on business. I like it because the decor is more traditional. Rooms seems to be about $300 in midNov. I'd also consider around Bryant Park, that area can be nice, also, I know there are a couple reasonably priced Hiltons there I think (like Garden Inn). But they may be even more than the Roger.

SeaF Sep 26th, 2018 05:48 PM

I’ve stayed in midtown East at a couple of different Marriotts I found to be convenient. One at 866 3rd Ave and one at 525 Lexington. As long as you’re close to a subway stop, you’ll be fine.

janisj Sep 26th, 2018 07:23 PM

>>midrange is midrange, how could that concept be meaningless. <<

'Mid range' in Des Moines might be $95-$100, 'Mid range' in Manhattan in November will be $350+ . . . so yes, pretty meaningless without an actual budget. A $ number.

suze Sep 27th, 2018 11:25 AM

Well we're not talking about Des Moines. We were specifically and very clearly asked about "mid-range in Manhattan in November" ... I agree it's on a scale, whatever is the middle of the price range for that place at that time. Nothing to do with Iowa.

janisj Sep 27th, 2018 02:15 PM

A few weeks ago we had someone asking for 'mid priced' and was shocked to learn that $150 was too low and they'd have to re-think the whole trip. So apparently not everyone knows what 'mid range' means.

suze Sep 27th, 2018 02:24 PM

So tell them.

To that person you could have said... a typical mid-range hotel price in a decent central location of NYC, not too fancy but not too much of a dive or dangerous, in other words places that most people would be willing to stay, range in price from $250-$500 per night (or whatever your best guess of what is in the middle of cheap and ridiculously expensive).

marvelousmouse Sep 27th, 2018 07:02 PM

$300-500 isn’t midrange for many places in the country, and I suspect nearly nowhere in November. So, I agree with Janis—it’s hard, and unuseful, to suggest “nice” hotels without a budget in dollars, because we’ve no idea what the OP’s expectations are.

Location wise, I like Central Park south area, but mostly I just like to be near a subway station, and relatively close to most of the stuff I want to see.

kja Sep 27th, 2018 07:34 PM

I'm fond of the Pod on 51st.
https://www.thepodhotel.com/pod-51/
Small rooms, but surprisingly well laid out IMO; roof deck; small cafe with good breakfasts and snacks; convenient to several different subway lines; lots of restaurants nearby; within walking distance (by my standards) of several worthy sites; helpful concierge.

suze Sep 28th, 2018 09:30 AM

$300-500 isn’t midrange for many places in the country, and I suspect nearly nowhere in November.

Do you mean that is too high or too low? I can't tell from the way you worded that reply.

Personally when I ask for hotel recommendations I appreciate any replies. I can then go online easy enough and see exactly what prices are for my dates and which might suit me best. But gives me a place to start when I am brand new to a city.

marvelousmouse Sep 29th, 2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by suze (Post 16801424)
$300-500 isn’t midrange for many places in the country, and I suspect nearly nowhere in November.

Do you mean that is too high or too low? I can't tell from the way you worded that reply.

Personally when I ask for hotel recommendations I appreciate any replies. I can then go online easy enough and see exactly what prices are for my dates and which might suit me best. But gives me a place to start when I am brand new to a city.

Too high.

Could be wrong, but you’ve never struck me as a budget traveler, and are possibly pretty flexible when it comes to lodging budget? I guess I’ve just seen too many new posters ask for “midrange”, and then people suggest a bunch of places...and then they come back and say they had a firm budget in mind, and usually it’s far too low for “nice”. Seems to happen a lot on seattle TA during cruise season:)

Doesn’t matter as they haven’t come back yet.

Dukey1 Sep 29th, 2018 07:37 AM

They've undoubtedly come back, looked at the replies, and made a decision. You need to be more positive about your fellow posters LOL

MoBro Sep 29th, 2018 02:12 PM

Definitely, yes to the Beacon. You will have a kitchenette, which is great for solo travelers, especially at breakfast. Nice location with a deli/grocery market across the street. Near the subway and Central Park John Lennon memorial. Small lobby, where everyone passes by the front desk, and is noticed.