Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best and safe hotel district in Manhattan, NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-and-safe-hotel-district-in-manhattan-nyc-406522/)

Rudite Mar 4th, 2004 05:19 AM

Best and safe hotel district in Manhattan, NYC

Hello Fodors friends! Please help me!
It'll be my first trip to NYC. I'd like to live in Manhattan, but I have no idea - what district in Manhattan is the best for not expencive hotels and nice neighbourhood, is safe and not far from most popular tourist objects.Manhattan is so large!

GoTravel Mar 4th, 2004 05:48 AM

Actually Rudite, Manhattan is a rather small island that makes up one of the 5 burroughs of New York City. The buroughs are Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island.

On Manhattan Island, which runs from Battery Park on the tip of the island all the way up to Inwood on the North, the East River and the Hudson River, has many different neighborhoods.

Living there and vacationing there are two different things.

Where would you work? What would you do? What is your age?

Most first time visitors like to stay in Midtown. Midtown runs from roughly 30th Street to 59th Street or Central Park South which borders Central Park.

In Midtown, you will find a lot of tourist attractions such as Times Square.

Midtown would also be a very expensive place to live as is most of Manhattan Island.

Each area has its own wonderful qualities and if you asked 10 people which area of New York City they would like to live in, you would get 10 different answers. Me, I'd live in a big old brownstone in Brooklyn Heights with a fab view of Manhattan, Statue of Liberty, and the Brooklyn Bridge.

I would suggest you buy a good guide and start reading. Find out everything you can about the city. And mostly, save your money. It is a very expensive town to move to.

missjanna Mar 4th, 2004 07:53 AM

GoTravel, you have it wrong, hun...

The 5 boroughs are Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and STATEN ISLAND. Long Island is part of the suburbs, and not part of NYC.

Having been born and raised in Brooklyn, (with the exception of living a few times in Queens) and working most of my life in Manhattan, I can attest to this...LOL

As for what area is best, it depends on what you are looking for. However, you better off checking other areas than Manhattan as the rents are sky high there for half the space.

wow Mar 4th, 2004 08:04 AM

I think Rudite means he/she wants to "stay" in Manhattan, not live there.
Rudite: Can you give us a guide as to what you mean by inexpensive? How much do you want to spend per night for a hotel in Manhattan?

nytraveler Mar 4th, 2004 08:05 AM

I'm not clear if you're coming here on vacation and looking for info on hotels/areas or coming here to live and looking for neighborhoods for renting/buying an apartment. Can you clarify? If hotel neighborhoods, what things do you want to see and what is your budget. If areas to live - we would need answers to a whole pack of questions to provide recos.

GoTravel Mar 4th, 2004 09:03 AM

I meant Staten Island! Aaaahhhh! Not paying attention to what I was doing.

Ten lashes for me.

missjanna Mar 4th, 2004 09:21 AM

Don't worry about it, GoTravel, it was early in the morning, so it was understandable!! Plus you would be surprised how many people forget that there are parts of NYC other than just Manhattan!

BTW for those who might want to know, the best pizza in Brooklyn is NOT at Grimaldis...not unless you favor very thin crust pizza that you can't get by the slice. (You have to order by the pie.) I wasn't impressed by it, personally.
The best pizza in Brooklyn is at L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th Street by Bensonhurst.