Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Airport for Palm Desert (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-airport-for-palm-desert-1015306/)

taitai May 25th, 2014 09:51 AM

Best Airport for Palm Desert

All

We are heading to Palm Desert for a long weekend in the Fall. I was going to start to look for airfare but am unsure as to which airport we should use. Any advice?

Gardyloo May 25th, 2014 09:54 AM

Palm Springs - PSP is very close; next best is Ontario (ONT.)

MichelleY May 25th, 2014 01:13 PM

No Venice? ;)

Dukey1 May 25th, 2014 02:03 PM

The Palm Springs airport is 11 miles from Palm Desert.

taitai May 25th, 2014 03:07 PM

Thanks. Direct flights to Palm Springs seem difficult to get from our airport so I am looking at LAX or Orange County or San Diego. I can go direct to all of these. Do any of these make more sense than any of the others? I recognize it will be a drive.

MichelleY, Venice is without the kids. This trip is with them.

Gardyloo May 25th, 2014 03:28 PM

A one-stop flight can easily end up being faster than a flight to LAX, SNA or SAN followed by bag claim, rental car shuttle, and a 2+ hour drive through southern California traffic.

janisj May 25th, 2014 10:07 PM

>>Direct flights to Palm Springs seem difficult to get from our airport so I am looking at LAX or Orange County or San Diego.<<

I don't get your logic. Is it better to connect somewhere and arrive practically next door in Palm Springs . . . OR . . . fly non-stop and then have to drive HOURS to Palm Desert?

But if Palm Springs doesn't work, check Ontario.

SeeHag May 26th, 2014 04:53 AM

The drives from LAX, SNA and SAN are not very interesting and could take much longer than you may realize. You could wind up in some really awful traffic on any of those freeways.

jayne1973 May 26th, 2014 12:01 PM

We flew into San Diego on Southwest and thought it was pretty and without much bad traffic. I believe it took about two and a half hours to drive to the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. To some people that seems way too far, but to us Texans, it is nothing.

beechbum May 26th, 2014 02:04 PM

Ontario, it's a lot cheaper to fly into ONT. It's an easy airport.

Tomsd May 26th, 2014 06:09 PM

Get your best rate if you can't fly into Palm Springs - at any of the SoCal airports - as they are all about 2 hours (Ontario might be the closest) - from Palm Springs/the greater Coachella Valley.

We drove it from SD 50 times when the in laws lived in Palm Desert - and except for occasional Sat traffic on I-60 - (off the 215) that goes through the Morena Valley (which can be the fastest w/o any unusual traffic) - pretty much every route is 2 hours.

Tomsd May 26th, 2014 06:12 PM

And if you don't mind a few curves on a hillside - the drive over 79 - from Temecula - is beautiful.

You can also go through Julian which is a pretty mountain drive.

You don't really have to use the freeways - except from SD to Temecula - or from SD to the turnoff up to Julian, and except for morning (or evening)rush hour - no problemo.

Momddtravel2 May 27th, 2014 06:12 AM

If your only direct flights are into SNA, San Diego and LAX - I would pick SNA - the car rental is very easy at SNA and it is a much easier airport to get out of than LAX.

But check your car rental rates before buying the tickets - they can at times vary greatly between airports. I flew into Southern California often over the last 4 years from Texas to visit.