Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best airline to use from Orlando FL to Ohau Hawaii -

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Hawaii next year( 2014) in October. There will be 8 people traveling from Orlando to Ohau. We need to book flights from October 10th to October 25th. We would like to book the shortest flight times.
Someone had suggested to check out taking Hawaiian air for the 2nd leg of the trip.
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?
Also, does anyone know if there are any special events going on at that time of the year?
Thank you
D
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 08:36 AM

If you want a one-stop route then you can pick American (through Los Angeles); Delta through Atlanta; United through Dulles or Newark..
all this info is available at Kayak.com

Hawaiian Air..you can check on that possibility too just use the Kayak menu. The big advantage: there's no "heresay" info included.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM

We always fly Alaska from San Francisco and like it. But for me the best airline to Hawaii is the one that charges the least amount of money to get me there safely!
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info-I will use it in my search
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM

United also does a one-stop through Denver and through Houston.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM

All of the majors offer comparable flight times. It really comes down to which airline you prefer, where you want to connect, and what kind of plane you want to be on.

To my mind, it comes down to whether you want to take one shorter flight and one longer flight, in which case, Delta via Atlanta, United via Houston, or American via Dallas would make sense. If you wanted to spread the flying more evenly across the two flights, then you could take United through San Francisco, though this is really only efficient on the way out. There is also a relatively efficient connection through LA with Delta on the way back only.

Looking at current aircraft scheduled on the routes, I'd say that the best equipment for coach is probably the Delta flight from Atlanta. It is an A330, with AVOD and 2-4-2 seating. American uses an older 767 from DFW that lacks AVOD, and United uses older 777s that also lack AVOD and are in a 2-5-2 arrangement. I would caution, however, that your trip is still a year out, and any of those carriers could change the equipment resulting in an upgraded or downgraded experience, although Delta would be a safe bet, as they don't have any conceivable equipment that can run the route that will be worse in 2014 than the A330 is today, so it should only be an improvement if anything.

In business class, Delta from Atlanta will be the clear winner on this route as all of their long-haul fleet will be upgraded with flat bed seats that will be better than that offered by American or United.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 06:26 AM

I advise one long leg on a widebody aircraft. We avoid 757's and west coast connections that usually use these planes -- especially unpleasant on the return redeyes where you are dumped on the coast after four hours and have another long leg ahead of you.

You have enough time to enjoy a second island. Book with Hawaiian Airlines within Hawaii. If you want to be able to through-check luggage on the return from another island to HNL, you'll want your 'hop' on the same ticket as your return flight to home. Then you can float through HNL without leaving security or claiming and re-checking luggage.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 09:07 AM

As I said, you can go through Los Angeles on American; there is no need to fly to DFW
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM

If the prices are similar I really strongly prefer Hawaiian Air for the trip. You could use it for your 2nd leg from any west coast city (LAX, SFO, Portland, Seattle).
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 09:28 AM

As I said, you can go through Los Angeles on American; there is no need to fly to DFW

You clearly didn't look at the schedule. The outbound flight requires either a) a double connection, or b) a forced overnight. The inbound flight works, but still results in a longer travel time, which the OP is trying to avoid.

The most efficient flight schedules will pretty much all involve connecting through ATL, IAH, or DFW at least one of the ways.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 09:54 AM

If the prices are similar I really strongly prefer Hawaiian Air for the trip. You could use it for your 2nd leg from any west coast city (LAX, SFO, Portland, Seattle).

As with AA through LA, the problem is the timing. There are only a limited number of flights from Orlando to the west coast, resulting in increased travel times at least one of the ways (usually outbound). I don't think it worthwhile to waste significant time in transit just to fly Hawaiian.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM

AA has a 767 DFW-HNL and DFW-OGG (Maui). I don't know where you'd find a widebody out to HNL or Maui from the coast -- HA out of Oakland? -- and you might still have that nasty return featuring interrupted sleep.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Google events on Oahu. Halloween is big. The Ironman marathon will have Big Island all booked up -- usually middle of October.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM

I don't know where you'd find a widebody out to HNL or Maui from the coast

HA and DL from LAX to HNL (some departures). UA and HA from SFO to HNL. HA from SAN to HNL. HA from OAK to OGG. HA from PDX to HNL. HA from SEA to HNL. I think that is it.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 06:29 PM

HI D I need to find the same flight I prefer a shorter flight over price:
I found Orlando to San Diego 5 hr 22 mins non stop w. Alaska Air then San Diego to Hawaii ( HNL) 6 hr flight non stop Hawaiian Air have you found anything better ?
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 12:58 AM

have you found anything better?

American has, at the moment

MCO-DFW - 2:50
layover - 1:15
DFW-HNL - 8:20

Depart at 7:45 am
Arrive in HNL at 2:10 pm, the same day

Return

HNL-DFW - 7:30
Layover - :55 minutes
DFW-MCO - 2:25

Depart HNL at 4:50 pm
Arrive DFW at 5:20 am
Arrive MCO, next day, at 9:40 am

That said, who knows what the schedule will look like in Oct. Schedules change all the time.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 04:30 AM

I found Orlando to San Diego 5 hr 22 mins non stop w. Alaska Air then San Diego to Hawaii ( HNL) 6 hr flight non stop Hawaiian Air have you found anything better ?

Bear in mind that this schedule appears to require an overnight in San Diego both coming and going.

As noted above, the legacies via their respective hubs pretty much offer the best schedules.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM

I like the airlines that give you economy comfort. Delta does and it is worth every penny on a long flight such as this one for the bigger people.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Use whichever airline you want from Orlando to either Phoenix/Mesa, Las Vegas, or Los Angeles.
Allegiant has cheap flights from each of these hubs to Honolulu.