Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Besides the obvious...what NOT to miss in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Debbie

We live 2 hours from Chicago and have been there many times for sporting events, nightlife, and shopping. We've done Shedd's, Navy Pier, and Museum of Science & Industry but I know there's much more to Chicago but am hoping someone can help! Don't some TV shows tape there? What about historic sites and/or places to possibly run into someone famous?! Also, what are the "must visit" restaurants (besides Pizzeria Uno, that is!)? I really appreciate any suggestions you all could give. Thanks much!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Paul Rabe

Some lesser known places in Chicago:

Oriental Institute at Univ of Chicago (somewhat famous for being where Henry Jones studied as a grad student under Dr. Ravensbrook)
Biograph Theatre (where John Dillinger was shot while with the Lady in Red)
Billy Graham Museum of Evangelism
Lazzaro Museum of Lapidary Art
Balzekas Museum of Lithuania
Bradford Exchange
Vietnam War Museum
Museum of Surgical Science

For an interesting place to eat, check out the Billy Goat Tavern, where Belushi would order a "Chezboiger, chezboiger"

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 02:15 PM
kmarie

Have you done a tour with the Chicago Architecture Foundation? There are several walking tours as well as bus and boat tours. You'll find a listing and schedule here--
http://www.architecture.org/toursx.html

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:31 PM
pj

Terra Museum on N michigan ave is interesting. My son and I like to do overnights at Field Museum, Museum Science INdustry, Shedd. It is a whole new experience, you actually sleep in the exibits!! They have special programs just for the overnights. Look at the side of Tribune building there is facades from all over the world.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
patg

To dos:
Dale Chihuly glass exhibit at Garfield Park Conservatory

Theatre at Famous Door, Steppenwolf, Goodman - check hottix.org

Neighborhood browsing - Wrigleyville, Oak Park, Hyde Park, Evanston, Wicker Park, Hutchinson Street, Printer's Row.

TV shows that tape locally: Oprah, of course, and Jerry Springer; contact WLS/ABC re their arts program, 190 North, and WTTW regarding their programs. Some radio is still done live here as well.

Must eats: Signature Room at 95th (make that a must have drink and eat elsewhere)
Big bucks category: Arun's; Trio; Tru; Everest; Charlie Trotter's;
Medium bucks: Heaven on Seven, Harvest, Prairie, Wishbone, Atwood Cafe, Don Juan's, many more;
Cheap eats: Frances on Clark Street; Hong Min in Chinatown, Melrose Cafe, Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder; take a stroll and ask a local about neighborhood places.
To run into someone famous: they all seem to go to Gibson's eventually. You may have to stretch your idea of famous, though.