Bermuda, What's the allure? Pricing??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to Hawaii, were thinking of going back to Hawaii but now are looking for different destinations. Bermuda seems to NEVER get a negative comment but when I read the reasons it is so loved most just say its safe and friendly - is that all!?!

We are looking around the late May/June timeframe for a cruise. Right now cabins cost about 800 pp for NCL which is not the best line. Should I wait - will fares drop? We do have a child so we need a three person cabin.
Thanks
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:45 AM

Fares WILL NOT DROP for Bermuda..The Government of Bermuda limites the capacity and ships that are allowed in at any one time.. Why do people love Bermuda (cruised there on the Majesty ten times myself).. because of the people...who actually like tourists and don't find them a nusiance, no Bermudians hassling them. If you were to cruise to Bermuda I would not recommend early May, but the first two weeks in June. Bermuda is only 19 miles wide...Yes, there are more expensive lines that go to Bermuda besides NCL, but I do like the idea of b eing berthed in St. George which is an absolutely charming town. there are buses and four high speed ferries that will take you to Hamilton or the Dockyard.. There is a category on the Majesty which we use that has a bunkbed... Fares may drop at the last minute, but for the category and cabins we require we book in January or February...otherwise we are out of luck...
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This should probably be posted on the Caribbean or cruise section. But, we love Bermuda because it is a very pretty island, it is close, the people are friendly, there is little poverty, it is charming and british, there is a certain air of formality even though it is an island. It is different than Hawaii. It is different from most islands in the Caribbean zone. (Some say it is not part of the Caribbean because it is too far north.) Regardless, Bermuda is a relaxing, nice vacation spot. It depends on what you are looking for. I can not answer any cruise questions, but you have picked a nice time of year to go. Bermuda is best in late spring, and all of summer.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:49 AM
dcespedes

About four years ago we spent a full week there. The people there are amazing and we did feel quite safe every where we went. The food was excellent--not a bad meal to be had--the beaches are lovely, there's great snorkeling and a lot of history there! There are several Forts you can visit if you enjoy history and there's also an aquarium. If you're a golfer I saw a beautiful seaside course in St. Georges or you can take in a cricket game. Bermuda is expensive so be sure to pad your wallet well. It's a place we look forward to re-visiting some day--hope you enjoy your time there, Big Daddy

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:00 AM

It sounds as if there may be several "issues" operating here. One is your notion that "NCL is not the best line" and that cruising to Bermuda is the ideal way to see the place, and needing to be "convinced" that it is a good idea vs. Hawaii.

First, there are othjer cruise lines that travel to Bermuda including Carnival and RCCL if not more. I would never pay the brochure price for any cruise..use a discounter and you might get more information on cruise-related sites such as www.cruisecritic.com or www.cruise-addicts.com

In terms of which line you feel is "best" that, obviously, will remain forever subjective.

Cruising vs. staying on the island for a few days at a brick and mortar place...you'll probably get a lot more feel for the place if you do the latter. As a comparison, would you ever even consider a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands vs staying on shore?

Hawaii and Bermuda are VERY different if for no other reason than Bermuda seems to esude that British colonial "charm" for many that doesn't quite come across in the Bahamas. It is rather "reserved" compared to Hawaii and probably seems more exotic and "foreign."

I definitely agree that it is not a cheap place to visit.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:01 AM

Compared to Hawaii, Bermuda is boring. If you live on or near the east coast though, it is very conveniently located - about a 4 hour flight from Boston, NYC, Philly or DC. I don't know anything about cruises except that when the ships are in port, Hamilton gets very crowded. If you do a cruise rather than actually staying on Bermuda, you won't get much of a flavor for the island.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM

I spent a week in Bermuda and was bored to tears. I spent ten days in Hawaii and was ready to stay forever.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:15 AM

Part of the allure of Bermuda has been mentioned above - convenience to east coast US, civility, beauty. The high standard of living is important to us - we end of feeling guilty spending more in a week on a vacation to other locations than local people make in a year. There is also relatively little crime - it is possible to travel virtually anywhere on the island - not being confined to a resort/all-inclusive. People speak English - making it even easier to get around on your own.

Of course, all these things apply to Hawaii as well. There is no "perfect" vacation spot - it all depends on what is right for THAT TRIP.

The reason many people choose to cruise from the northeast to Bermuda is cost and convenience - because Bermuda is expensive, it is sometimes cost-effective to cruise rather thanpay for air, hotel and food.

Some NCL ships have very small cabins - perfect for 2, but a little cramped with a kid.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:29 AM
GoTravel

Not sure what the allure of Bermuda is. The pink sand maybe? Lack of poverty? No hassles?

While I had a marvelous time, unless someone else was paying, I probably would not go back. It is a beautiful place and the Bermudian government was very smart the way they set up tourism regulations.

Can't rent a car, only one person per family can own property there only if has an astronomically high rental rate, and other such things.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:36 AM

Bermuda appeals to many people on many different levels. It is usually calm, serene, laidback and friendly. Add to the above by being only 90 mins from NYC or 2+ hours from Boston by air, one really can't get any further away in that timeframe. It is more expensive than other islands but you also get a bit more, like being able to really relax on your vacation. It's no more expensive than Mid Town or DC but some will say the scenery is better I say it's a welcome change.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM

I have cruised to Bermuda on NCL and thought it was the best way to see the island. I would do it again tomorrow, if the opportunity presented itself!

You really CAN get a "feel" for the island by cruising there. You will have the better part of four days to explore. In that time, you can see just about every part, and will have time to visit those areas that deem more attention.

I like Bermuda because it isn't like the other Caribbean islands. People are very polite. There are no pushy people trying to sell you this or take you there! I just hate that about Jamaica!!!

If it were me, I'd to the cruise. That's just MHO.

Carol
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:17 AM

We love Bermuda, been there twice, I think for about 5 days each time. Never got bored. It's absolutely gorgeous in June. The beaches are beautiful, with pink sand. The people are very friendly. It has a distinctively British feel. The food is wonderful, albeit expensive. No poverty, no one trying to sell you crap.

Pure class!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I loved Hawaii and granted I only visited Maui. If we return to Hawaii we would include Kauai as well but I want something completely different.

This is the first time I have read negetive posts about Bermuda - I knew there had to be some out there. We will probably do a cruise out of Boston and I'd like to include a night at Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket as well. My only concern for all three islands mentioned is a lack of things to do with a child.

Anymore knowledge out there concerning the price of cruising? I've heard many people say they have cruised but only a mention of the costs.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
GoTravel

Bermuda is expensive and May/June is peak honeymoon cruise time.

Your best cruise price may be the last two weeks of April or the last two weeks of September.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM

For the best prices, you'll want to choose either the beginning or the end of the cruising season. What type of cabin are you finding for 800pp? Actually I don't think that's a bad price. We paid 900pp a few years ago for a mid-September cruise on Celebrity. There are a limited number of ships operating to Bermuda, so fares are not as competitive as the Caribbean routes.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:38 PM

Dang, we absolutely loved Bermuda and consider it THE island... but we haven't been to Hawaii yet, thats next year, and the way you guys are talking about it over Bermuda we can't wait!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM

Big Daddy...if your serous about Bermuda and NCL you had better book quickly...NCL is joining RCI in not allowing TA to advertise discounts. Bermuda boring...not on your life..Safe...well,not as much as it used to be..classy....absolutely.. I definetely would not go the end of September because of storms...this has not been a good year for most people cruising to Bermuda and until the end of May it's a litte cool.. We like to go just before the kids are out of school and after they are in school.. Unlesss your looking for an inside cabin you had better grab a cabin with a bunk...that is our one requirement ..extra room for my husbands luggage..lol
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM

We went to Bermuda for our honeymoon and our 25th anniversary, and we plan to go back for our 50th.

We loved snorkeling, riding around on our moped, going to the beach, golfing, seeing the caves, perfume factory, zoo, botanical gardens, historical houses, museums, Queen's birthday parade.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:07 AM
OO

We've been to Bermuda and we've been to Maui. Trying to compare them is like comparing apples and oranges...they are both islands but that's about as far as it goes.

I loved Bermuda, probably had a more enjoyable time there than Maui. It's isn't the rugged wild beauty of HI: it's tamed beauty, but incredible beauty none-the-less--narrow winding roads bordered by flower covered stone walls. Pastel-hued, tile roofed cottages. Cliffs falling to the ocean or easy walking beaches. Beautiful crystal clear water--fabulous snorkeling. We've been 3 times, the last time for a week with the kids when they were teens. The kids consider it their best vacation ever (and they've done St John, Cayman, and Mexico with us as well). We all had mopeds, and I'd planned our days so we could explore some site on the way out to our snorkeling beach, then another on the return trip, snorkeling a different beach each day. It was terrific. And no I would not say pricing is the allure of the island--if anything that's the drawback!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:51 AM
dcespedes

OO, I've been to both as well and agree with you--well put

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -