Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/bermuda-544239/)

miz Jul 14th, 2005 03:04 PM

Bermuda

Thinking of heading to Bermuda next weekend July 21(or 22)to July 26. Middle age. Angy suggestions where to stay.

miz Jul 14th, 2005 03:04 PM

Sorry I meant to say:

Any suggestions where to saty.
Thanks

abram Jul 14th, 2005 03:14 PM

We stayed at the Sonesta Beach Hotel many years ago, but I wouldn't recommend it--too big and unfriendly.

More recently we liked an all-inclusive called the Harmony Club. Great location, good food, alcohol, scooter rental and passes to Elbow Beach Resort included.

jed117 Jul 14th, 2005 05:28 PM

My husband and I were in Bermuda in 1997 and 2003 - both times we stayed at the Fairmont Southampton (Princess in '99). We loved it both times - it is a large full service resort type hotel. We had a wonderful dinner on the beach at The Reefs and would also recommend that - but is a totally different type of hotel.

dolciani Jul 14th, 2005 06:28 PM

We have been to Bermuda 3 times - the ONLY place to stay is the Pompano Beach Club
www.pompanobeachclub.com
Check out their website and you will see privaate cottages looking over a small secluded beach, the best food ever, nightly entertainment in their lounge, and next door to Port Royal golf club. They will shuttle you to the nearby ferry. Prices usually include a wonderful breakfast and dinner. (BTW, you will probably get a better response if you post this on the Carribean board). Good luck.

miz Jul 14th, 2005 06:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Are these places close to or have easy access to the main city and lots of activity for the evening? Also what types of things can we do? How expensive are these places? We are looking at "middle of the road" re budget or is it such that you just go ahead and spend the $$$ on accomodations if you go there

cmcfong Jul 14th, 2005 07:02 PM

I just posted a response to you on the Caribbean board. You may want to talk to your carrier about any package deals to BDA hotels. There are some budget places in BDA but they are not easy to come by at the last minute.
www.bermudatourism.com gives a good listing of hotels and prices so you can get some idea of what's available. A reasonably priced place on the beach is Surfside. A reasonably priced place in town is the Rosemont. Neither is glitzy or high end, but both are in my experience clean and adequate. I particularly like having a kitchen so I can save my $$ for great meals in the evening.
Go to the HogPenny on Friday night if you want to meet people.
Scuba or snorkle with Blue Water Divers at the Somerset Bridge.

Things to do:take a ferry ride to St. George, get out and walk around the little town. The prices are the same as at other branches of the stores which you may see in Hamilton but there may be some items you have not seen before.
vist the Botanical Gardens just outside Hamilton
take a picnic lunch to Par La Ville park off Queen St.
Post a letter at the Perot post office in Hamilton
Take a walk down part of the Bermuda Railway
Visit Dockyard for an afternoon
Go snorkeling at Church Bay
Horseback riding on the beach at sunrise
ride the moped (very dangerous, but I do love to do it)
Restaurants:
Ascots, Waterloo House, La Coquille in the Underwater Exploration Museum, worth a trip on a rainy day, and HogPenny Pub.
Make plans for your next trip......

cmcfong Jul 15th, 2005 05:19 AM

These folks may be able to help you with last minute accomodations in BDA.
http://www.bermudagetaway.com/

capecodshanty Jul 15th, 2005 07:14 AM

We loved the Salt Kettle House, right on the Quay, in Paget

tpatricco Jul 15th, 2005 08:19 AM

We had good luck with a last minute July booking & loved The Granaway guest house. www.granaway.com in Warwick Parish

GailLK Jul 15th, 2005 08:20 AM

We stayed at the Southampton Princess when it was owned by another chain, but now it's owned by Fairmont so not sure if it's better/worse, but it's in a lovely location, with great views and a gorgeous beach area. Very expensive, but you might be able to get a package since airfare to Bermuda is not cheap.