Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Benjamin hotel or Millenium Hilton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/benjamin-hotel-or-millenium-hilton-531959/)

havaneses May 26th, 2005 11:23 AM

Benjamin hotel or Millenium Hilton

I will be visiting NY with my husband and son. I am trying to decide which of these two hotels we should stay at. We like very nice, clean hotels. From what I've read it seems like the location of the Benjamin is better, but I don't think we will be going to many museums or shopping or shows, but rather going to Southside(?) Seaport, ferry to Statue of liberty, Ellis Island, and SOHO sound more interesting to us. Given that which hotel would you recommend? Thanks for any help!

lisettemac May 26th, 2005 11:29 AM

Since most of your interests are downtown, I would suggest the Millennium Hilton. It will be much closer to the things you want to see.

I have to warn you, though, there isn't much at the Seaport. There is a museum and a number of restaurants. The rest of it is a small mall with chain stores that you probably have in your hometown -- Ann Taylor, J Crew, The Limited, etc.

mclaurie May 26th, 2005 12:42 PM

I always wonder about posts like this. Whyyyyy these 2 hotels and no others? Are they part of some package?

If you want to stay downtown, which may be a good idea given the things you're interested in doing, the Millenium Hilton is an option. Just realize you're across from the former World Trade Center site.

To me, staying in Soho or even Tribeca would be a better option with more things to see and do right nearby. The are around the Hilton is really dead on the weekends.

You might also have a look at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park as another option downtown. The Embassy Suites is yet another downtown choice.

Last but not least furnishedquarters.com rents apartments in the downtown area that look wonderful (but no personal experience). If you're interested, look at their offerings at 22 River Terrace which would be in Battery Park I believe.

havaneses May 27th, 2005 06:29 AM

I had narrowed it down to these two hotels because I was able to get a reasonable rate and they both had great reviews. Ritz Carlton Battery Park does not have any rooms available and the rate is much higher. What hotels would you recommend in SOHO? It is very important to us to stay in very nice and clean hotels. Thanks!

mclaurie May 27th, 2005 07:47 AM

The Millenium Hilton is a nice clean hotel. I just think you'll find the area less than ideal, especially if your trip falls over a weekend. This is basically the financial district.

In Soho, the Soho Grand is a nice hotel but may be above your budget.

There are so many hotels in NY besides the Benjamin (which is in need of updating according to reviews) that should be the same or maybe less than the 2 you've mentioned. The Affinia 50, owned by the same co. as the Benjamin (Affinia) is newly renovated and has huge one bedroom suites, like an apartment. It's near Bloomingdales and close to a subway stop. Further south in midtown, the Shelburne Murray Hill, also owned by the same co. also has suites like apts. as does the Affinia Dumont These should be less than the Benjamin.

havaneses May 28th, 2005 05:52 PM

where have you seen the reviews indicating the Benjamin was somewhat rundown? I am considering staying there because of the good reviews I had seen, but I would not want to stay there if it is not up to par.

ronijeni May 28th, 2005 06:39 PM

Have you considered the Belvedere? You may be able to find availability and it's also moderately priced.

Gardyloo May 28th, 2005 07:06 PM

We stayed at the Millenium Hilton a few weeks ago and thought it was just fine - spotless rooms (with flat-screen TVs), good dining options walkable, subway choices within a block, and if you do want to shop, it's across the street from Century 21, aka shoppers' paradise. Yes, it's also across the street from Ground Zero, and I believe virtually every room overlooks the WTC site. It's sobering of course, but that's not a bad thing.

We'd happily stay there again.