Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   BELLIGIO-TOO UPSCALE (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/belligio-too-upscale-187833/)

joanie Sep 10th, 2001 04:00 PM

BELLIGIO-TOO UPSCALE

I have read several post from people who say that Belligio is very upscale and that they felt out of place or uncomfortable there. Yet there are others who love Belligio and don't feel the least bit uncomfortable. I'm just wondering what it is that makes people feel this way. I am planning my first trip to Las Vegas and was planning to stay at either Belligio, Caesars or the Mirage. I usually vacation 2 or 3 times a year, but I don't usually stay at the Ritz Carltons or Four Seasons. I usually try to find something in a convenient area that is unique to the area, often B&Bs. I have just about decided on Belligio, but I have to say that all this talk makes me nervous.

Jack Sep 10th, 2001 04:14 PM

There was a very nice discussion of this exact question aboutr a month ago. As I recall, the questioner even spelled the hotel "Belligio" (although I'm not sure about this). If you search "Bellagio" and read the recent posts you should be able to find it. <BR>The synopsis: it is what you make of it. If YOU think it's fussy and that everyone seems stuffy, then it is fact as far as your experience goes. Personally I don't find it stuffy at all, but I frequently stay at nicer places. Keep in mind that Las Vegas is a VERY casual place. IMO staff are not at all stuffy, but you can make them out to be so if that's your mindset. <BR>My advice? Go and stay there. And go with the attitude that it is their job to make you happy, whatever that means to you. It is not your job to fit in with what you perceive the surroundings to be. Go relax have fun and don't worry so much and you're much more likely to have a great experience there.

freecia Sep 10th, 2001 04:20 PM

Think of it as a visit to a Neiman Marcus. You don't need to be intimidated if you mind your manners, wear nice clothes, and ignore the security. It's a lot like a trip to a major European city or any fun metropolis. It's a bit expensive, but if you're prepared to indulge yourself, it's worth it. If you want to eat cheap within the hotel, there's a cafe near the pool and gelato (italian ice cream) store. <BR>The noodle shop is only decent and overpriced. The buffet is good, and if you've got the money to splurge, be sure to see "O", even if you have to wait in the standby line. <BR>Another must see is the pool. Only guests can get in. The art museum is small and possibly skippable. <BR> <BR>Don't worry about feeling out of place. <BR>It's an upscale atmosphere but let yourself go and enjoy! There's nothing else quite like it. Rooms are beautiful and bathrooms are enormous! Have fun!

Sandy Sep 13th, 2001 07:43 PM

Stayed at Bellagio with my rough & tumble husband.He felt uncomfortable at first but by third day was running down to the spa in his hotel robe,smoking big cigars and reading the Wall Street Journal{he's a mechanic}.You just have to adjust your attitude but have fun with it.The rooms were beautiful,the service great and the pools fantastic.I thought the slots were tight.Talk about intimidating,we were there when they had the grand opening of the Paris and it was ALL rich people and celebrities.There was not a women in the place whose hips were not smaller than my arms.every one was at least 5'10 and none over 100 lbs.I still had a great time even though I felt like a whale.You might try the Golden Nugget though ,it is also very lovely but cozier,if you like B&B's.

Notpossible Sep 14th, 2001 04:46 AM

Isn't "upscale hotel in Las Vegas" an oxymoron? Believe me, as much as the Bellagio strives to create an illusion of high class, it is just that. The clientele at the Bellagio is NOT the same as you would find at a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton for the most part. Go. You will not feel uncomfortable and will most likely be one of its higher class guests.