Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Belle of Louisville/Spirit of Jefferson
Notices

Belle of Louisville/Spirit of Jefferson

Aug 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Belle of Louisville/Spirit of Jefferson

DH and I will be in Louisville for a couple of days in early September, and I'd like to take a ride on the Belle of Louisville - but it looks like our only option may be the Spirit of Jefferson, given our limited time there. In any case, I do want to get out on the river for a sightseeing cruise (I grew up in Louisville, my folks always had a boat, so I spent a great deal of time on the river in my youth - this is a nostalgia thing). The cruises offered have the option of being either a lunch or dinner cruise for an extra charge. Have any of you done one of these cruises, and can you tell me if the buffet meal is any good? The couple of river cruises I've done in Europe included a buffet where you sat inside at tables until you were done eating, then you could go outside for the remainder of the cruise, is this similar? I'd rather spend my time outside on the deck enjoying the scenery, but since the cruises are at meal times, I'm wondering about the logistics of eating, if we decline the buffet. Do you know if you're allowed to bring your own food on board (if we did the midday cruise, we could bring sandwiches, for instance). Thanks for any info anyone can give me.
Aug 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

To the top - still hoping for a reply.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Since we ended up taking this cruise, I thought I'd report back.

We did stay long enough on Friday to be able to take the lunchtime cruise on the Belle of Louisville, which I really enjoyed. The Belle is a fascinating and historic vessel, well worth taking a cruise on.

We found out that we could take food, but not beverages onboard, so we brought sandwiches, and bought drinks from the concession stand - that was fine. We sat on the outside upper deck - there were tables there, so we ate our lunch comfortably. As it turned out, if we'd opted for the lunch buffet, we could have taken our food anywhere, and not been confined to tables set up near the buffet table, as we'd experienced on some diner cruises in Europe. Still, this worked well for us.

It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed looking at the sights along the shore - there was occasional commentary telling us what we were seeing. My only complaint was that there was a disc jockey aboard playing really loud music, which there was no escaping from. The music wasn't particularly objectionable - mostly oldies rock - but it was so loud, you couldn't carry on a conversation, and we found that frustrating. Why did they feel it necessary to subject us to that? I would have enjoyed it much more if I could have enjoyed pleasant conversation with DH and son, but that was impossible.

Other than that, it was a really nice outing, and I enjoyed it very much.
Sep 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Sara, glad you enjoyed the boat ride. I couldn't answer your questions since it has been so long since I did it.

Loud music seems to be the norm here, even at my church. It's nutty, IMO.

Search this Thread