Reload this Page >

Bellaire Girl and other Houstonians, relocating to Houston

Old May 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bellairegirl,
If you live near where your name suggests, can you suggest some decent (safe)apartments on the South West side of Houston? I'm overwhelmed by choices and don't want to end up in a bad area.
Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Hi, memejw.

Yes, I do indeed live in Bellaire. There are 3 separate apartment complexes off of Newcastle (just east of the 610 Loop) that are safe and very convenient to everything. One is called Pin Oak Estates, one is Gables Pin Oak, and I can't remember the name of the other. I lived in Gables for a year when my house was being built (but it's the oldest of the 3 properties and so not as fancy).

Another nice, safe property that's very convenient is The Village at West University on Edloe (just south of Westpark and US 59). These properties all have security guards, access gates, etc. I recommend you stay inside Loop 610, as opposed to outside (or west of Loop 610) when locating to SW Houston.

Just let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Susan

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Just wanted to mention that it might be helpful if you told us where you will be working (or what you want to be near), and then we can offer advice with that in mind. You're right -- there are tons of options, and there are also many nice, safe apartment complexes on the SW side of town.

Susan
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Hey Susan,
Thanks for your help. I did find a place that looks okay. I went to the HPD's website and searched crime reports in that area.
I'll be working in the Galleria area but did not want to be *right there*.
Anyway...do you know what the difference is between all of the electric companies? I'm sure I sound like a small town girl but where I live you have NO CHOICE of what electric company to use.
It looks like Entergy Solutions, Direct Energy and Reliant Energy are the least expensive. Is there any reason to select one over the other?
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Electricity has been deregulated in TX, so you can choose whatever generator you use. The power will still be delivered to you by Centerpoint (which was Reliant, which itself was HL&P). Centerpoint will be responsible for outage problems, etc, regardless which one you use.

We switched to GEXA about a year ago; their rates are lower, and we earn Continental Onepass miles from each bill.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

GEXA? Do you have contact information? That company didn't come up in the search I did.
I googled and came up with this website: http://www.electricitytexas.com/cities/houston.html
So it really doesn't matter which company I select? I saw that Direct Energy required you to sign a one year contract. I've never heard of that before.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
P_M

That is interesting about the deregulation of electricity, I will keep that in mind as there's a good chance I will be living in Houston soon. We should schedule another Houston GTG in the coming months so we can meet memejw.

(Memejw, I had the pleasure of meeting bellairegirl and rkkwan a few months ago when I came from Austin to a Fodor's GTG in Houston)
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi P_M,
Keep your chin up. Things have a way of working themselves out.

Okay, now how about security systems in an apartment? Who knew it would be so complicated? Why sign a 36 month contract when your apartment lease is only 12 months?

Finally made a decision on an electric company and now this...I've been so sheltered! LOL

Is it better to do an all in one package deal with cable, internet, phone & security? I don't really watch TV.

But between installation of an alarm system and monthly phone charges...there are so many options that my head is swimming. I like to have a few choices but sheesh not this many!

Hope someone has suggestions!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM

memejw - Check out www.gexaenergy.com

To get CO FF miles, check out this page before you sign up:

www.continental.com/onepass/earn/other/gexa.asp
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Hi, memejw! Glad you found a place to move to. I'm not much help with the electric company options, as I've always had my electricity through HL&P (which changed to Reliant which changed to Center Point), and haven't switched it yet. I think comparing the different options is much like picking a cell phone plan -- each very different and difficult to compare.

After you move to town, promise me you'll check out my absolute favorite place to grocery shop -- Central Market (at the corner of Westheimer and Weslayan). It's an experience!

Take care and have a safe, easy move.

Susan