Airfare from WDC to SFO

Search

Airfare from WDC to SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare from WDC to SFO

I am traveling from Washington, DC to San Francisco from May 27 - 31. A week or so ago I found a nonstop flight from Dulles airport to SFO on US Airways for $260 or so. Stupidly I did not act on it and now I can't find ANY nonstop flights for less than $400. Is it worth waiting a bit longer to see if any airfares drop? What is the general rule of thumb for when flight prices increase/decrease w/r/t proximity to travel dates? I would really like a nonstop flight, but it would be very painful to pay $400 when I could have paid $260 for the same ticket a week ago. Btw, I can fly in/out of any of BWI/Dulles/Reagan in WDC, but want only to fly into SFO, so the budget airlines like southwest and jet blue are not options for me. Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM

Flying SW from BWI to San Jose is good advice if you don't find anything out of Dulles. Check bookingbuddy.com several times a day.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM

Hi, lakers!

All is not lost!

As you have found out, special fares come and go very quickly. That's because an airline will release only a limited number of seats at that price and when they are gone, that's it, the sale ends.

Keep checking the websites like Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz - several times a day. You may luck into another sale. Sales don't occur only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I've flown Jetblue a couple of times and like it. Jetblue flies Dulles - Oakland. Believe that is a nonstop flight. Check them out as well as Southwest.

Oakland is closer to San Francisco than San Jose and public transportation is much easier from Oakland Airport to downtown SF than from San Jose Airport.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:29 AM

Just curious: Why wouldn't you fly into Oakland if you can save a few hundred bucks? It's just as convenient and timely for getting into the city. However, if you are set on SFO, then $400 is not that bad - it may go even higher as you are getting closer to May 27.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will keep checking orbitz, etc. (that's how I found the first good fare - still kicking myself for not jumping on it!) - but I wonder at what point should I just cut my losses and just book a flight so that I can still fly at times that work with my schedule - I know there is no magic answer to that question but I'd appreciate your opinions! Btw, ordinarily I would have no problem flying in/out of Oakland (i.e., I am willing to fly from any of the 3 DC metro area airports even though some are certainly closer to my home than others), but this trip I "need" to fly into SFO b/c I am visiting relatives in Burlingame who live literally 5 minutes from SFO - on a 3 day trip, I want to conserve as much time in transit as possible. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:52 AM

If you are willing to make ONE quick and easy connection you can still get the 261.00 fare on NW:
NW6806 27MAY DCA-CLE 0700A 0813A
NW7531 27MAY CLE-SFO 0930A 1142A
NW362L 31MAY SFO-DCA 1240A 1034A
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:54 AM

One more note... I was attending a meeting in Burlingame last week and flew out of SJC. The commute from my hotel to SJC took 25 minutes. Your talking only 15 extra minutes or so... and maybe you can find a flight that leaves 15 minutes later to make it up!
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:09 AM

In relation to when you should cut your losses, that's a hard one to answer.

You still have a couple of weeks in April. Something should come up in this time period, if you are vigilant.

The best thing to do is to set a top limit, say, $300 RT, before taxes, fees, etc. which will add another $100 or so. If, when browsing travelocity, expedia, and orbitz, you come across a fare within your top limit, grab it.

Then, DON'T LOOK AGAIN. The next day, the next hour, maybe a better fare will come up and you'll start kicking yourself again. Just be content that you got a great fare, not the lowest possible, because it's impossible to predict what would be the lowest fare.

Southwest had a promotional fare once of $99 coast to coast. At that price, I won't worry about flying into SFO or OAK or SJC, just take the fare.

Oh, BTW, forget that $260 fare, it's gone. Focus on the future. If you keep kicking yourself over things you didn't do, you'd be black and blue all over - LO!

Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the tips. FYI, I booked nonstop tickets on Southwest from BWI - San Jose (neither was my first choice of airports but decided it was worth the price savings) for $250 each (all taxes incl.). I am happy with that price so please do not let me know of any great air sales going on for the next month
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:24 PM

Great fare.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:35 AM

Would JetBlue work for you? Oakland is actually easier and maybe even closer to SF than SFO, depending on where you are going.